Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1

Hi, I was copying less than 3GB of pictures from a DVD to a directory on my computer and I got an error message "Not enough memory". When I shut off and restarted the computer it happened again, so I ended up copying a portion of the pictures at a time. I did delete tempory internet files and I still ran out of memory and had to reboot.

I'm running Vista business with a E6600 microprocessor and 4 GB ram. I have Photoshop CS2 on the computer, but not running at the time. I boot from a 150GB hard drive and store on a 500GB drive. I have the drives partitioned, but there is plenty of space on the partitions.
Can someone tell me what's causing this and what I can do about it?
Thanks,
Henry
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:02 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with Vista - still using XP, but there are some general things to look at. Presumably, Vista has something similar to Task Manager, still, which you can open to look at memory usage, and resource allocations. I have heard that Vista is even more of a resource hog than XP, so your 4GB could be down to 2 or 3, as far as available memory goes. Also, check your page file allocations. With your system, you should be able to allocate several GB to virtual memory, which could help.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:54 PM   #3

Thanks for your advice. I looked at virtual memory and I guess they refer to the size as paging file size. The default setting is "automatically manage paging file size for all drives". For some reason it has currently allocated 3624 MB and recommended 4986 MB. I tried to go into custom size and increase the numbers and it didn't take, probably has something to do with having to run as administrator stuff but I tried to right click and wasn't given that option. Anyway even though it didn't take Internet Explorerstopped running every time I tried to get on the internet. This comes up every once in a while, but usually is able to restart itself. When it wouldn't restart I restored the system to an earlier point and it's running now. I will give myself a break and then try to change the virtual memory again. I will let you know what happens.

Henry

hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote