Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:43 AM   #11

Many thanks for your responses.

So what do I want the programme for? I want to be able to tinker with my photographs and try out the different techniques suggested in the magazines.

The photo crits often suggest photographers alter layers and use terminology I have no knowledge of.

The lessons vary from needing Photoshop Elements 5 to Photoshop CS3 to Photoshop CS....

Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:09 AM   #12

Beejygirl wrote:
Quote:
So what do I want the programme for? I want to be able to tinker with my photographs and try out the different techniques suggested in the magazines.
Many people in these forums use Paint Shop Pro. I think 'PSP' is on version 11, now. I use Version 7.04, which was the last upgrade at a price I was willing to pay. I started with (I think) version 3, on a Windows 3.0 PC at work many years ago.

Even PSP v7.04 contains far more than I'll ever use. I also have Photoshop 5LE, an early version of Elements,which came as a freebie with a scanner.I used it for a while alongside PSP. It has a useful screen with lots of variations on an image displayed on a single screen, but I used it for little else.

Both PSP and Photoshop have far too much in them to remember, and much time is wasted hunting in Help for things you know are present, but have forgotten where.

The excellent Irfanview(free, but send a donation) is a fine partner to a full image editor for handling all your images. It doesn't have lots of artistic 'brushes' and other retouching tools, but it does allow you to alter overall image characteristics (size, tone, balance, name, sharpness, etc.), even in bulk on many images in a batch at once if necessary, and a huge range of filters & plugins. It will make you a nice 'ready to go' set of webpages of a selection of images, for example, at the push of a button.

I havea professional photographer friend who uses Photoshop, and occasionally we have a 'shootout' when rescuing difficult images. Sometimes I and PSP7.04 win, and sometimes he does.

Good luck! Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:52 PM   #13

Beejygirl wrote:
Quote:
Many thanks for your responses.

This being the case, since most, if not all the techniques they describe are oriented to Photoshop, that is what you should be looking for. However, Photoshop Elements has most of the capabilities you will need, including layers. Unless you have enough experience to be able to translate the techniques from PS terminology to another, you should stick with PS Elements, and if you find you outgrow it, you can upgrade to the full version.

Brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:01 PM   #14

I agree that there's little need for most people to get the full version of Photoshop and that Photoshop Elements is easier to use, but I go a step further.

I think that Photoshop Elements version 2.0 is all you're likely to need. As well, it's even less costly. You can buy an original disk of it quite cheaply on EBay. I think I paid $25 for mine.

The only function that I sometimes miss in Elements 2.0 is one that enables you to easily make separate fine adjustments to the red, green and blue content of pictures. But there are other programs that do that - e.g. ACDSee 7.0 - and they can be found equally cheaply.

I notice that you also wrote - "The photo crits often suggest photographers alter layers and use terminology I have no knowledge of. " I was in exactly the same boat as you on that one - I went for several years quite unable to fathom how use layers. Then, after reading one or two pieces of advice that people had posted it all began to get clearer. If you possibly can, I recommend that you get somebody who does know how layers operate to demonstrate a few times. Then it will all become easy - and useful.

Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:23 PM   #15

If You want something that does more than IrfanView and is a good starting point for using layers try Serif Photo Plus 6, it is a free download, I used it in the past and found it quite good.

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/sof...us/default.asp

Check out their other free software at that site, I use their Desktop Publisher Page Plus SE and it does all I need in DTP software.

Max
Ausimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:40 PM   #16

The one that I use is called PhotoScape. It is free software, and does a great job!
FlashFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote