Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:25 PM   #1

Just upgraded from a P&S to a new Pentax K10d. With the P&S I exclusively used Picasa. I'd like some additional cabability for using the new SLR and I'm thinking about GIMP (rather spend the Photoshop money on glass). I gather that I'll need a plug-in for processing RAW files. Anyone have suggestions on best places to download GIMP and for a free RAW processor that's good? Also, anyone have tips for archiving so that I can keep all of my photos organized moving forward (something I've been awful about in the past)? Thanks for all of your help.
culveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Anyone have suggestions on best places to download GIMP and for a free RAW processor that's good?
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:19 PM   #3
Administrator

culveric wrote:
Quote:
Also, anyone have tips for archiving so that I can keep all of my photos organized moving forward (something I've been awful about in the past)? .
Sure, install SimplyMEPIS 7.0 Beta 5 (a Linux distribution) and use digiKam 0.9.2 (included in the default installation).

Both are free, and you can install SimplyMEPIS in a dual boot configuration with Windows. It includes nice utilities with graphical interfaces that let you resize your existing NTFS (Windows) partition to make room for Linux partitions and automatically includes Windows in the boot menu it installs. It takes around 4GB of disk space. You can also install the Linux versions of the Gimp and UFRaw with a few mouse clicks (you can search through over 18,000 free software packages using the built in tools and install what you want to use with a few mouse clicks).

I keep my PC setup so that I can boot into Windows XP Pro, or one of two different Linux Distributions. digiKam 0.9.2 is my favorite image management program. Here's a downsized screen capture of showFoto (which is part of digiKam now) browsing through some images under SimplyMEPIS 7.0 beta 4:

Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:37 PM   #4

culveric wrote:
Quote:
... anyone have tips for archiving so that I can keep all of my photos organized moving forward (something I've been awful about in the past)? . ...
I'd suggest two things: keep your originals filed by date (each day's shooting in a separate directory) and a simple ASCII shooter's diary. The diary could have entries as brief as "Oct 2, 2007 Zoo with fall colors - shot zebra, lion, fox, and aarvark. Lunch at Uncle Fred's house." later, a search of the diary for (e.g.) aarvark will find that entry, which will lead you to the directory and the thumbnailer of your choice (try Irfanview) will quickly find the picture.

If you keep the date in the file name as you edit it, that will help find related pictures. As an example if you have UncleFred20071002.jpg somewhere, you know that might find a picture of Aunt Edna in the Oct 3, 2007 directory.

I don't mean that the diary/directory strucuture should replace the system Jim suggested, or replace any of the other database driven systems that exist. I am suggesting that the diary/direcory is so simple it can be used with any other system.

It is the only system I use and it does allow me to dig out photos from five years ago that exist on several spindles of CDs. I will be able to copy those directories/diary to DVD/BlueRay/Whatever without worrying much about any software updates. I'll count on ASCII and JPEG being readable in ten years more than anything that depends on specific software.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 6:34 AM   #5
Administrator

I use a yyyymmdd folder name convention. That way, the folders will sort correctly by date using the folder name, no matter what image management solution I use.

For example, the path to the album in my last screen shot was this (note the path at the top of the screen print). The mnt/sda1 part is just the drive/partition the album is on:

/Photos/20070929