Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:43 PM   #1

I have got some of my mum's favourite video camera vids on DVD but need some drastic editing. I am looking for a tool that not only can I start doing that but also be able to work with my photo collection.

I have heard good things about Premiere Elements and Power Director but would appreciate people's inputs.

Many Thanks
Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:11 AM   #2

Video is well off topic here, but your question is one that I am trying to puzzle out since I am thinking of getting a video camera myself. I have a new computer that just might be able to edit the things so I am out prowling the web looking for free/cheap editing tools.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:35 AM   #3

The easiest and cheapest place to start is with Windows Movie Maker, which should be included with your Windows system. Not an advanced program, but it will allow you to do basic editing, add audio files, and transitions.

For lots of freeware/shareware, look at the MajorGeeks.com site, under the multimedia heading. I have one called DVDflick, and it looks like it will do quite a bit if I can figure out how to use it. Another one to look at is Mediacoder, which is a transcoder program, for converting file formats.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:40 PM   #4

Check out

http://www.videohelp.com/

for answers to these kind of questions.

----------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 6:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the link Bill. Brian, thanks for the basic reminder that the best software is the software you already have - untill you know enough to want something better. Having gone from W98 to Vista, I didn't know movie maker was included with Vista.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:21 PM   #6

depend platform.
from free, High Quality and multiplatform NLE Toolbos, i recommend[4 designated purpose - DVD trancoding and/or authoring] two appz - MediaEncoder and Avidemux2.
Personally, i prefers later(easy and fast).
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:42 AM   #7
Administrator

SkyShoot wrote:
Quote:
depend platform.
from free, High Quality and multiplatform NLE Toolbos, i recommend[4 designated purpose - DVD trancoding and/or authoring] two appz - MediaEncoder and Avidemux2.
Personally, i prefers later(easy and fast).
Avidemux is also cross platform (and it's a free, open source application):

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

BillDrew:

It's also pretty easy to setup your PC in a dual boot configuration if you want to see how well it runs with Linux. Most Linux distributions have a very easy to use Partition Manager that allows you to resize your NTFS partition and make room for a Linux partiton (and many distros only need around 4GB now).

Many also offer Live CDs you can boot into to "test drive" them for compatiblity, application usability, etc., before you choose one and install it.

Send me a PM with a mailing address, and I'll be happy to send you a few live CDs of popular free Linux distros (SimplyMEPIS, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, and more) to try out on your new PC (from your previous posts, you're dialup, so downloading 700MB .iso images to burn a CD would not be practical).

Most would allow you to easily access the same files that Windows applications access, thanks to reliable NTFS drivers now. So, you could take advantage of many free Linux graphics applications under Linux as desired, while still using Windows when you want to.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:23 PM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Send me a PM with a mailing address, and I'll be happy to send you a few live CDs of popular free Linux distros (SimplyMEPIS, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, and more) to try out on your new PC (from your previous posts, you're dialup, so downloading 700MB .iso images to burn a CD would not be practical).

Most would allow you to easily access the same files that Windows applications access, thanks to reliable NTFS drivers now. So, you could take advantage of many free Linux graphics applications under Linux as desired, while still using Windows when you want to.
Thanks Jim, I'll take you up on that offer. Just downloaded the windows version of
Avidemux - only took about an hour & a half for 19M. Don't even want to think about long 700M would take.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:34 PM   #9

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Don't even want to think about long 700M would take.
about 15 mins here for me

most of england is high speed broadband with cable (what im on) giving hyper fast speeds

:-)

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:33 PM   #10

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
most of england is high speed broadband with cable (what im on) giving hyper fast speeds
Cable is rare outside big cities.

Where I live, just S of Chester, with 2 large business parks less than 10 miles away, I get 3.3Mbps maximum and 2.2 routinely, over an ordinary phone line, which is what most folk have. National average in a broadband survey published recentlywas 4Mbps. There's no cable for miles around, though a friend of mine is busy surveying a cable route between a business park & a national hub, past the bottom of our road, which will dig up the main road for miles for weeks and do us no good at all.

So you're lucky. Where's there's muck & brass & mills, there's optical fibre!

So that's why your pictures are so much better than those of the rest of us, who have to send our images by pigeon from our shoe boxes. Or maybe there's something more to it.

I sympathisewith Bill, who is well know for excellent BIG images, which need jumbo jets rather than pigeons.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote