Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:53 AM   #1

A raw photo obviously contains much more info than Jpeg. My question being, Using Picasa {I am lazy} would pic quality benefit by shooting raw, editing, then save in jpeg or to shoot raw, save in jpeg, then edit. Or to just shoot and edit jpegs. No photos would be printed over 8X10. Sorry if this all sounds trivial but I am trying to figure out if raw is of any benefit for someone like myself. Thanks for any input.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2007, 9:12 AM   #2

i dont use picasa but,..................

raw gives you more editing opertunaties as it leaves image in an unprocessed state, a jpg is more processed and editing limited, for instance white balance can be changed after an image is shot in raw.......cant be done to jpg.

quality will be the same........results will be different due to processing but still of the same quality

regarding print size my 8mp produces images that look stunning at 20x30 inch

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:33 PM   #3

How much editing, and what kind, do you normally do? If it is just minor adjustment of brightness/contrast and cropping, and you have the pics printed at a lab, you could be just as well off with a full jpeg workflow.

If you print yourself, make White Balance adjustments, need to boost shadow detail, and want the best image you can create, stick with RAW until the last step.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:02 PM   #4

dwssas wrote:
Quote:
trying to figure out if raw is of any benefit for someone like myself.
Why not choose a nice scene, shoot it in jpg and raw, and see whether you can do better in one than the other. and how much effort it takes?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:34 PM   #5

Reanimator, with 8 megapixel file when you print a 20 x 30 inch print what is the dpi at that size? I have a 7.1 megapixel camera and would have to enlarge the file with Genuine Fractal to get a good dpi for printing a 20 x 30 inch pic.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 4:42 AM   #6

In my opinion, the only reason to use RAW is to take advantage of much simpler/easier/better/... post processing for white balance, exposure (limited), contrast, ... If you have all the setting dialed in real well on the camera for the situation you are shooting, there is little or no reason to use RAW.

Having said that, my camera's default setting is RAW+JPEG since I am not sure I will have time to get all the settings right when I grab the camera for a quick shot of the Loch Ness monster.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 7:12 AM   #7

Thanks all for your input. I will take it from here and see what happens.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 4:25 PM   #8

bynx............. 320dpi

have had 24x36 prints too........equaly as good, infact good isnt the correct word they are superb, on either paper or canvas

Gary
Old Nov 20, 2007, 4:32 PM   #9

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Having said that, my camera's default setting is RAW+JPEG since I am not sure I will have time to get all the settings right when I grab the camera for a quick shot of the Loch Ness monster.
LOL.........that famous shot was faked, so u would have plenty of time to shoot it

very good marketing ploy to boost tourism, quite a disapointing drive down the side of the lock as u cannot see it most of the time :-(

Gary