Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:17 AM   #1

Does anyone know how to keep the size of an image down when you make a "batch process " ?

Applying a one step fix with clarify and adding shaprness and finishing with borders , all this makes my 1.8mb pic become a 5.5mb and i just cannot change this.

Any clues ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:29 PM   #2

When you batch process, there should be a dialog box for the 'Save As' part of the process. You may need to adjust the quality setting here.

I'm assuming you are talking about .jpeg files, and in many cases, a .jpeg from a camera (even at highest quality) is compressed more than would be the case at highest quality from editing software, so the file size increases after editing. Also, any sharpening will increase the file size, even if compression setting remains the same, since there is more edge detail to be preserved. Sometimes, the reason for large increases, is that the software is preserving the .jpeg artifacts from the original file as detail. It isn't really possible to eliminate the artifacts without also losing some detail in the photo, so I generally compromise, and apply a small radius (0.4 to 0.6) Gaussian blur before sharpening jpegs. This seems to reduce the artifacts enough to allow sharpening which increases perceived sharpness without losing to much detail.

Unless file storage space is a problem, I would just accept the increase in file size. though.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips , i just noticed that it was possible to choose the compression level when saving after editing.

So i just made a few tests and i do compress , i found the right balance between size and quality.

Pics come out of the camera at around 9mb and after retouching they often end up between 15 & 20mb.
Whats going to happen when i start shooting in RAW :?

Anyway , i`m still just trying out my new D300 and the results in jpeg are nothing less then stuning , i`m not convinced that it is really worth bothering with RAW processing. :blah:

Anyway Corel Paint Shop Pro XI doesn`t allow RAW conversion for the D300 "yet".

I`m very satisfied with the sharpness and details after strong "cropping" , this does give an extra edge for ending up with the best framed pictures.

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote