Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:29 AM   #1

Hi, A friend of mine is an artist and he wants me to make a movie of pictures of his paintings that he can give to customers. I will be using Proshow Gold. He wants to use low quality pictures of his paintings because he is afraid that people will use it to make giclees of his paintings. Since it is a movie people won't be able to access the original jpegs, but they will be able to capture a picture from the movie and use that. I asked Photodex, the makers of Proshow Gold, and they told me the resolution of the DVD movie is 720x480 and that any giclees made from capturing a picture would be of low quality. Are they correct? I haven't got any video capture software to try it.
Thanks for any advice.
Henry
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2008, 5:38 PM   #2

Since "giclees" are extremely accurate high-res reproductions produced from high quality digital scans of existing artwork, it is highly unlikely anyone could capture a video image or standard DVD movie image made by Proshow Gold in a high enough resolution to be happy about the results. A "giclee", by definition, is NOT a low res image.

DVD movies are extremely low res photographically and nominally 720x480 as you stated — that is really nowhere near good enough to produce a "giclee" or a pirated large photo-printed copy. It may be good enough to produce a somewhat poor postcard sized print or even a desktop background if someone is willing to do a lot of "PhotoShopping".

Nonetheless, there are pirates who are satisfied with low res prints of just about anything.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:22 AM   #3

you have no worries on the slideshow front, by the way easiest way to capture is to simply play on pc and do a screen grab, some dvd playing software even as the facilaty built in..end results as stated will be poor

the main worry i would say is people copying a picture once bought !!!

it happens, i know a artist who had this happen and it was a gallery who showed his work, copying and selling prints of originals !!!

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies. The artist is concerned because years ago he had a giclee made and found out that they were making their own giclees and selling them. He doesn't make many giclees, but he bought an Epson 9600 so he could do them himself.

Henry
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote