Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:46 AM   #1

How do I get to the result where the subject, or one item on the photo is in colour and the rest is in black and white. I have picasa and photoshop elements. Can someone give me the work flow for this. I assume its better to do with a colour photo, but maybe it's better to start with complete b&w and add colour
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:09 PM   #2

This is simple. Start with a color photo. Then copy the photo and paste on top as Layer 1. Convert Layer 1 to Black and White. Then erase any parts you want to be in color from Layer 1. When you are finished merge the layers and you are finished.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:52 PM   #3

don't ERASE!!! copy the image to a new layer and then convert the top layer to B & W and create a layer mask on the B & W image and use the brush or whatever to reveal the color underneath. like this....
Attached Images

sennsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:28 PM   #4

Layers - think layers. I don't know your software, but if it supports layer masks, sennsmm is right about using that instead of errasing. Errassing works, but is not easily reversable if you make a mistake that you only notice after several minutes of further editing.

If your software does not support layermasks, errasing as Bynx suggested is the way to go.

If your software does not support layers, but does suport using the clone brush across two different images you could make a b/w copy and clone that to the color image. I really would not want to do that - keeping alignment could be a real pain.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:37 PM   #5

I haven't tried cloning across images with Elements, but have done it frequently with Photoimpact, which has a relative mode, so that it automatically maintains alignment. I normally use the brush attributes set to 'Hue and Saturation' when I do this.It is actually much simpler and quicker to use than layer masks. Another way would be to extract the part you want from a color copy and paste (or layer) it on to the b&w copy. This is also a good way to create a picture with multiple copies of the extracted object.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:32 PM   #6

Check out Photoshop Elements Killer Tips. One of theirlessons is about this. I download to iTunes and watch on my computer or iTouch.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 6:23 AM   #7

The OP appears to have lost interest ;-)
But this may be useful for anyone else wanting to create a 'cut-out'.

Open your image then click on 'Create Adjustment Layer' in the layers palette. That's the circle half filled with black and white. When the menu appears select Levels and then when the dialogue box opens just click OK.

Now drag your Background Layer onto the 'Create a New Layer' icon, it should be next to or near the 'Create Adjustment layer' icon.

So now you have, from the top, the Layer thumbnail linked with the layer mask thumbnail, next is the Background Copy and at the bottom is the Background. Drag the Layer thumbnail and mask to the middle. So now you have from the top Background copy, layer thumbnail & mask and at th bottom the Background.

Now press and hold the Alt key and move the cursor to the middle of the top two layers until it turns into two overlapping circles, Now click once with your mouse and the top two layers have been linked for the purposes of masking.

With the top layer selected choose the filter you wish to apply, any of them.

Eg. Convert to black and white using your preferred method.
Now click on the layer thumbnail/mask to make it active. Choose a suitable Paintbrush from the brush Tool section, make sure the foreground/background colours are the default by pressing D on the keyboard if white shows as the foreground colour then press X to change it to black.

Zoom in close and with your brush, just 'paint' over the parts of the image you don't want to have the filter effect applied to. If you make a mistake just press X to switch to white to reapply the effect, remembering to switch back to Black.

Painting with Black reveals what is underneath the filter effect and with white, puts it back.
So in your case, painting with black will reveal the colour.

The layers palette should look like this :

Click image for larger view.

There is also a layer mask 'plug-in' that is installed in the Effects palette !
Download links for a layer mask for all versions of PSE and instructions here :-)

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 9:11 AM   #8

thanks very much, I'll follow your instructions step by step, and have downloaded the mask.

What does OP mean?

thanks

Dov
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 12:01 PM   #9

OP means original poster....you.
You asked the question three months ago and hadn't responded before now, which is why I suspected you had given up on it .

If you don't use the layer mask plug-in, then follow my instructions.
If you do, and it's a lot easier and quicker to use the layer mask plug-in, then first off....be sure to follow the installation instructions for your version of PSE.
The link to download the mask also explains where to put it (two files), what to do next, and how to use the mask.

But basically, wherever the layer mask is installed, you simply double click it in the effects palette and it will automatically be added to the currently active layer.
The currently active layer needs to be the layer that you have changed, the one any effect has been added to.

So you would have the background layer. A duplicate (of the background) layer. Convert the duplicate layer to black and white. Now double click the layer mask icon in the effects palette. Take a black brush and paint over the parts of the image that you want to be in colour.
If you paint over parts that you don't want in colour, then switch the foreground colour to white (press X on the keyboard) and paint (with white) to remove the colour....or rather, bring the effect back.
Then press X again to continue painting with black.

Sounds odd, but once you are used to the fact that with a layer mask, painting with black will reveal what is underneath that layer...painting with white will put it back.

When you are done, right click on the layer mask thumbnail and select 'Simplify layer'.
That will 'apply' the mask to the layer.

Once you get used to using layer masks, you will never look back !!
They can be used to constrain any effect to any part of an image.
When you have done your black and white cutout, have a play with other filters and a mask too.
But the mask can only be added to an editable layer...not the background layer. So always duplicate the b/g layer (Ctrl + J) and work on that one.
Also, remember to save your work with a different name, if you wish to retain the original.

Enjoy :-)

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote