Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:20 PM   #1

I have been using Photoshop Elements for quite some time. Started with v3 and now have v5. I have never really considered the full photoshop because of the exceptional cost ($600) but just received an offer to upgrade to CS3 for $300 and now I am wondering if it is something I should consider. I am pretty sure I have not exhausted the features of Elements so it is not holding me back, but am wondering if this is such a good price for CS3 that I should make the investment now and grow into it. Any advice? Are there key features of CS3 that make it really worthwhile over Elements for a non-pro?
PhotoPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:25 PM   #2

If the offer for the $300.00 upgrade doesn't expire quickly, you should download CS3 for a trial and see what you think.

Here's a reasonably good comparison of PSE 5 with CS2. You can probably figure that it's not that far off of a comparison with CS3:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pho...ntscompare.htm

This page even has a link to some free add-ons for Elements that give it some more of the capabilities of PS!

Photoshop has a lot of graphic arts stuff that you may never use -- or that you may wonder how you ever lived without! But $300.00 ain't a bad deal. That's just a bit more than Adobe Lightroom, which is more optimized for photographers than PS. I hope that this offer gives you enough time to make a really informed decision.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the helpful input. The article was right on point - I think the fact that I don't understand most of the features listed may mean CS is above my abilities! :?

But your suggestion to download the trial version is a good one. I think I will give that a try over the weekend - the offer lasts until the end of the month and I would hate to pass up a real bargain.
PhotoPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:32 PM   #4

The things that I like with PS that Elements doesn't do quite as well are (not in any real order):

1) More advanced RAW conversion. If you don't shoot much RAW, then, of course, this wouldn't be an issue.

2) Better 16 bit support. If you don't do heavy alterations to many of your shots, the extra lattitude that you get in 16 bit mode wouldn't be an asset to you.

3) Layer masking. I guess that you can simulate many of the effects of layer masks with the erase tool, but real layer masking is just plain cool. One of the add-ons in the link provided in my previous post claims to give Elements layer masking capabilities, but I don't know if it works just as well as it does in PS.

4) Layer blend modes. I'm not sure whether Elements has this or not -- but if not, this is a very useful feature.

5) LAB color mode. You can do color enhancements in LAB mode that can't be replicated in RGB mode.

6) Merge to HDR. It's handy if you want to do high dynamic range blending.

Likely there's other stuff, but I'm not that familiar with Elements' feature set.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:55 AM   #5

for many P&S owners, shooting only jpeg without heavvy post-processing[or without heavvy most time]Adobe Elements - very good product.
but, IMO, little overpriced[but you always can find store with discount].
i lack 16 bit internal procerssing and LAB color model, but not 16 bit output[except PSD itself, amybe]. quickmasking cool, but worth $600 price difference itself.

SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote