Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:15 PM   #1

I am not able to examine the 'Help' files of Lightroom, and keep getting the attached message. I have uninstalled & reinstalled this program - a number of times - in hopes that things would better, but (alas) they have not. Recently, I was working with the latest update (1.3.1?), but now cannot move (update) beyond the base version of 1.0. I'd like to know if anyone might have an idea as to what the underlying factor, for this, might be. I really love this program, and need it to be up & running right.

Blessings,
Nathan

Attached Images

NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2008, 5:00 AM   #2

It seems that ZoneAlarm is causing this error.
You have to let Internet explorer access the internet.

If this does not resolve the problem then reset ZoneAlarm to factory defaults.

Be warned that you will have to reconfigure ZoneAlarm after doing so.

Hope this resolves your problem.
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:31 AM   #3

PhotoFusion2 wrote:
Quote:
It seems that ZoneAlarm is causing this error.
You have to let Internet explorer access the internet.

If this does not resolve the problem then reset ZoneAlarm to factory defaults.

Be warned that you will have to reconfigure ZoneAlarm after doing so.

Hope this resolves your problem.
Thanks. I am not really that computer savvy, so I will have to search into what this 'Zone Alarm' is about - and 'where' it is. Just to let you know (in case this might help to narrow down issues any further) the following is another error message that I get:

Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:56 PM   #4

the last one u posted seems to me that u have not installed the help files.

it tells you where its looking and it cant find them, can u copy them from cd to the folder mentioned?

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:24 PM   #5

That last error message is saying that it is trying to find a HTML file for internet explorer. I still say that you have ZoneAlarm Firewall installed and at some point oyu told it not to connect to the internet to find the files. You have now tell ZOneAlarm to allow iot to connect.
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:44 PM   #6

its not trying to connect to the internet its trying to read the file from the folder, there is an htlm help file in my help folder for photoshop, when opened the address is on my pc not the internet

the first pic is a link to internet help file as it stars with www. not C/

its an html because everyone as explorer, some office documents need office, or in the case of an acrobate file, an acrobat reader.

i still say the file is missing, it should be on the cd lightroom was installed from, and should be readable on there

but anyway if u need help here is a site full of usefull help for lightroom

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/lightroom/

enjoy

Gary

Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:52 PM   #7

PhotoFusion2 wrote:
Quote:
That last error message is saying that it is trying to find a HTML file for internet explorer. I still say that you have ZoneAlarm Firewall installed and at some point oyu told it not to connect to the internet to find the files. You have now tell ZOneAlarm to allow iot to connect.
You know what? try as I might, I can find nothing on my PC wuich references anything such as 'ZoneAlarm'. I even initiated a search - via the 'Start' menu - and still nothing. The 'Windows' firewall has the Adobe Lightroom program box checked - as an exception to blocking. I really don't know what else to do, outside of formatting my PC again, and hoping that it works out. Thanks anyway, though.

Blessings,
Nathan
Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:34 PM   #8

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
its not trying to connect to the internet its trying to read the file from the folder, there is an htlm help file in my help folder for photoshop, when opened the address is on my pc not the internet

the first pic is a link to internet help file as it stars with http://www. not C/

its an html because everyone as explorer, some office documents need office, or in the case of an acrobate file, an acrobat reader.

i still say the file is missing, it should be on the cd lightroom was installed from, and should be readable on there

but anyway if u need help here is a site full of usefull help for lightroom

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/lightroom/

enjoy

Gary
Hi Gary ~ and thanks for the link.

I will try reinstalling the program, and then 'copying' over those referred-to files, to see if any favorable change is to be realized. As far as the CD for Lightroom is concerned, I don't have one. I purchased Lightroom in its introductory stage ($200) after downloading - and finding a great desire to have it. What I got, for my money, was a license to fully open, and own the program (although I do wish that I had opted for the actual CD disk). I did burn the files to CDR so (hopefully) I was successful in downloading all of the files that I am supposed to have with the program. I say this, because I have been experiencing problems - of one nature, or another - with Lightroom ever since I've had it. But I really don't know...because there are times when it has functioned properly - then, times surfaced where I seemed to be laden with problems. Maybe there is something wrong with PC instead. Think maybe?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:49 AM   #9

think u just gave the answer without realising it........if you dont have the cd then u wont have all the help files, you probably just got the instalation programme

it could be worth emailing adobe support to see if they can help you further, as a paying customer your entitled to help

to be honest if its just help/tutorials your after a search on the net for lightroom tutorials will probably be more help to you as adobe help will be more limited

Gary