Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:54 AM   #1

from your experience is it better, and easier, to remove noise using photoshop elements, or a standalone version of noise ninja or neat image. can these be added to photoshop elements as pluggins?
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:31 AM   #2

Noise Ninja and Neat Image are probably as good as each other and both are far superior to the noise removal filter in Elements.
I have used Noise Ninja for several years now because I prefer the interface.
Both can be used as a plug-in or stand alone.
But I prefer the plug-in, as you don't need to open a separate application and import/export the file all the time
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:05 AM   #3

I definitely agree with Stevekin on this. I have used Neat Image in the past and find it gives excellent results. I now mostly shoot RAW and do any necessary noise reduction in my raw converter.

Any noise reduction s/w can only reduce, not eliminate noise. At least not without seriously degrading picture detail. Don't expect miracles, especially if shooting at high ISO settings, and using the shadow/highlights tool to bring up dark detail.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:04 AM   #4

As Brian says, most images will lose fine detail after a run through noise reduction software. Though careful masking can bring back that detail in things like the eyes, hair, mouth of a portrait, for example.

One welcome 'side effect' of noise removal, however, is some great skin softening :-)
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 8:16 AM   #5

I own both Noise Ninja and Neat Image. I also own nik! Dfine. Neat IMage and Noise Ninja are my favorities.

I have a review of four products. It's part of a chapter from my eBook/video on sharpening. You can download the .PDF review for free.

http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/...ionPlugins.pdf

Cheers,

Mitch
gmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote