Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:29 PM   #1

Just received a purchase from Ebay: A Canon Rebel XTi that is 2 months (I have the original receipt to prove it.) old with (about) 5,000 actuations on it. It looks and operates like new. There is not a single mark on it. Anyone know how to verify total actuations? Is there a place in the system that records this?

Along with this came a "OEM" Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium package: Box, work flow booklet, The DVD's and the original receipt from it's purchase. The name on the receipt is from the original buyer who sold it to me due to "financial hardship". Note the OEM that is in quotes.

The box actually says Education on it. Not OEM. I can not tell you how bummed I was when I saw this. I contacted the seller and expressed my dismay at learning this since I am not (at this time) a student. So I figured I just bought a worthless piece of software.

The response from the seller was that he never registered the software. He only installed it for 13 days and before the trial(?) period ended he removed it from his computer. So according to him it is fully registrable.

This whole thing leaves me feeling uneasy. Now I could try and just make him refund the whole thing and get my money (Including shipping) back but if he can always try to block that idea. And the whole hassle part has me figuring how much my time is worth on this.

I am sure I could sell the camera for 65% of what I paid for the whole package based on prior sales I have seen (And made on my XTi) and then be left with the software. If this guy is correct about the software having the ability to still be registrable I suppose I could find a qualifying individual to buy it from me. Or I could become a qualifying student myself. I have considered taking some classes at the local college for Digital photography. I wonder if part time students qualify?

What do you all think?
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:51 PM   #2

Riktar writes: Just received a purchase from Ebay: A Canon Rebel XTi that is 2 months (I have the original receipt to prove it.) old with (about) 5,000 actuations on it. It looks and operates like new. There is not a single mark on it. Anyone know how to verify total actuations? Is there a place in the system that records this?

I've read other posts from people who have been able to access a cameras shutter actuation record. If you haven't already, post that question in the Canon DSLR forum.

Riktar continues: Along with this came a "OEM" Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium package: Box, work flow booklet, The DVD's and the original receipt from it's purchase. The name on the receipt is from the original buyer who sold it to me due to "financial hardship". Note the OEM that is in quotes.

The box actually says Education on it. Not OEM. I can not tell you how bummed I was when I saw this. I contacted the seller and expressed my dismay at learning this since I am not (at this time) a student. So I figured I just bought a worthless piece of software.

The response from the seller was that he never registered the software. He only installed it for 13 days and before the trial(?) period ended he removed it from his computer. So according to him it is fully registrable.

I would find out what information is required for registration. For regular (non-student discount) Adobe software, the purchaser has the right to transfer his copy of the software to another person, but I think that he has to give some sort of formal notice to Adobe about this. As militant as Adobe is about protecting its software, it would seem that there should be some kind of system in place that would prevent a student from purchasing their software at the discount rate and then selling it at a profit -- like a sort of business -- on an on-going basis. But transferring a license once seems like it should be his right. But, this is tricky stuff, legally, and you may want to end up calling or emailing Adobe and asking them what the deal is in this case.

Hope you make out okay!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:37 PM   #3

Since I dont know the total retail price of the camera and software and what you paid for it, its hard to say whether or not you "were taken". Did you know the software was included as a package deal? Have you installed the software and tried to register it? Up to this point I fail to see how you were "taken". You yourself said the camera was like new. I take a lot of pictures and 5000 in 2 months is a LOT. Irregardless your camera is still as new functional. Be happy. You could have been really screwed over with something far less to your liking.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4

Where did the information about the number of shutter actuations come from? Is this something from the seller's description? Usually, that information is available in the makernotes of the Exif info within a photo. There are some Exif readers which can decode it. I am not sure what will work for your Canon, but you might try PhotoMe. I displays this info for my Pentax. Not all cameras include the information, though.

If the seller properly described the items, and you paid what you determined to be a fair price, then I don't think you were 'taken' at all.

As to the software, if it was purchased at a discount for a student, you may be required to indicate where you are registered as a student, but maybe not, also. If the seller didd not register it, then you should be able to do so.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:08 AM   #5

Here is the Ebay ad description. I am not sure how kosher it is to post a link to the Ebay ad otherwise I would do that. Anyway read on. You will see that the description mentions nothing about the software being educational. It sounds to me like it is your basic OEM package. Which does in fact cost FAR MORE than the Academic versions.
Brand New Canon XTi 10.1 megapixel Camera boxed with accessories: Purchased from Circuit City with valid receipts - will transfer documents to new owner immediately. Important - ONLY 2 MONTH OLD - 1 year Canon USA warranty still active protects this purchase for trouble free operation until 2009.

Includes new Rebel XTi High resolution 10.1 megapixel Camera unit. (this is the body kit without the cheap stock lens) Ideal for users who want to add a High End EF/EFS and L series lens to this stand alone body kit. Ideal for pro users who already have a supply of Canon compatible lenses that can be attached. This unit produced amazing images - and was used once for a Catalog photo shoot for my company.

**SEE RIDICULOUS VALUE ADDITION TO THIS AUCTION BELOW***

The camera, also includes:

1 New Weather Proof LowPro consolidated Camera Bag. Holds 1 DSLR plus 2 complete lenses, includes multiple storage compartments for filters, batteries, and cleaning accessories.
1 Large Capacity SanDisk Extreme III 4gb CF card boxed with additional carrying case. Super Fast memory card - large space for images. Can easily hold 1000 jpegs in full resolution format on 1 disk without switching.
Includes A EOS digital Camera Strap for shoulder

Instruction Manuals

Includes USB 2.0 cable for PC or Macintosh connectivity

Includes RCA Video cable for TV connectivity

Includes All Canon OEM package software suites for image editing and RAW processing

Drivers for Mac and Win

Battery protector plates

New Portable Canon Battery Wall Charger for NB 2LH units

<<<2 new batteries for extra power>>>>>
OEM New Canon 720 mah NB 2LH battery

OEM Additional Extra New NB 2LH Canon Battery for quick recharge still packaged

Camera Cleaning kit - air brush dust remover device - Fiber mesh cleaning wipes - cleaning fluid, bottle, and seperate water resistant case enclosure for portability.

- - (To more than make up for the non-inclusion of a lens) - -
Brand new Adobe Design Premium CS3 Extended Suite OEM Boxed. This will help to fully utilize the power of this camera package:
Brand new boxed Adobe suite full licenced 3 DVD pack. <DVD 1> Adobe Photoshop CS3 Professional 3d Extended version - Illustrator CS3 Pro -InDesign CS3 Pro - Dreamweaver CS3 Pro - Flash Macromedia CS3 Pro - Adobe Professional PDF Writer/Distiller 8 - Adobe Bridge - Camera RAW suite. <DVD 2> Extensive Adobe and Lynda.com Workshop Training/Tutorial Videos. <DVD 3> Extras Digital Content. Just Adobe CS3 package alone retails for well over 1600.00 on amazon.com, and is the default industry standard for image professionals worldwide in all aspects of Graphic Art, Photography, and Media Design. Get it all.

Any serious photographer, budding amature like me, or graphic artist will see the amazing deal that is offered in this bundle for E-BAY.

Selling these items due to extreme financial burdens. Will provide any walkthrough assistance needed from use of the camera, shooting techniques, to installation and tips in Adobe CS3 Extended. Maybe we can help eachother.

Customer pays shipping charges.

Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:03 AM   #6

Impressive list of stuff you got. But you didnt say how much you paid for it all. If you were to go to a store and buy it all what would you pay? The fact its a student version of CS3 should have no bearing as long as you are able to register it. Dont even worry about registering it. So that being said I fail to see what your problem is?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:40 AM   #7

While I don't see the point of price, I will say that the auction closed at $659 with a cost of $24 to ship it to me.

The fact that the CS3 package does not retail for $1600 but rather $600 and with careful shoping $350 is what it could be bought for is what is bothering me.

If I was a student and if the ad mentioned it was academic, not OEM would make this a good deal.

Will I lose money on this? No. Would I have paid what I paid for it knowing it was academic? No again.

My whole intent for this deal was too re sell the XTi and have myself a legit CS3 package for less than the retail cost of CS3 academic.

Now if I had no problems with using software that I wasn't suppose to this would be a great deal.

But my morals and principles are telling me not to. So maybe I just sell the camera, find a student looking for a deal and break even.

EDIT: One last thing. I read the license agreement from Adobe and it clearly states that academic packages are NOT transferable from the original purchaser. So in the strictest sense of the word this individual should not have been trying to sell it. Maybe there is a clause or loophole that he thought he found by simply not registering or activating the software. I am not a lawyer so take my interpretaion with a grain of salt.

And his "financial hardship" must have been resolved since in his last email he mentioned he is now using CS3 master design.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:03 AM   #8

As I understand it, OEM versions of software are meant to be installed on specific machines. So you could be in pretty much the same bind if you had got exactly what you wanted.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:31 AM   #9

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
As I understand it, OEM versions of software are meant to be installed on specific machines. So you could be in pretty much the same bind if you had got exactly what you wanted.
Good point. However I am sure it would not be as big a problem finding the right hardware to make the package legit as would be going back to school.

Then again I had considered taking some courses at the local college to help further my knowledge of Digital photography/editing. This might just provide the added incentive to pursue that.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:07 AM   #10

The accademic software will probably be just fine. Just load it and register it in your name. It is no different then the non-accademic version. "BUT" if the previous owner registered it and did not undo the registration from his computer you will have a problem. Once you get it registered in your name and on your computer you can update and it will be just fine.

The previous owner should have went to the help menue and clicked on "DEACTIVATE" from his computer beforesold itto you. He said he never registered it so you should be OK.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote