Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 13, 2008, 6:42 AM   #1

It appears that when I view a fresh, unedited pictuer with my KUSO Exif viewer, that it shows the data of what kind of lens was used. However, if I crop or do anything to the image in Adobe Photoshop 7 or CS2, some of this meta data is not there anymore, particularly the part about the camer lens used.

Is there a setting I can tweak that will not eliminate any of the Exif data when I do a "Save As" in Photoshop?

Alternatives software editors?

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2008, 8:34 PM   #2

Most editors lose at least some of the Exif data if you do a 'save as'. You might try Irfanview, a freeware viewer and editor, which has a setting to keep the original Exif when saving. Another option is to use Exifer to backup the Exif before you save, and then write it back later.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:22 PM   #3

How do I back up the exif data? What extension is it? How do I put it back in once it is backed up?
Old May 14, 2008, 11:51 PM   #4

Assuming you have Exifer, when you open it to a folder, it reads the files for Exif, and when finished, displays a list view of the files. Select a file, and you will see the leftmost icon, a blue 'B', which will backup the Exif. You can now edit the picture, and if your editor strips the Exif, you can use the 'R' to restore it. If you do a 'save as' to a different file name, you will need to copy the Exif from the original, using the dropdown exif/iptc menu 'save to file' and 'insert from file' selections. Save to file from the original, generally with the same name as the picture is saved as, then click on the saved image and insert the exif from the saved file. A bit complicated, but once used to how it goes, is pretty quick.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 4:01 AM   #5

I have Adobe Photoshop 7 and CS2, Opand IExif, KUSO Exif viewer, RAW Photodesk, IrfanView> Just downloaded PhotoME, and GeoSetter.

Just installed PhotoME and it has ALL the information I was hoping to find. It also exports and imports the exif data (and other data) It camerecommend by the author of Exifer. Seems like it is what I am looking for.

Now, if I want to get the Geo data for a picture, do I need to enter it manually from my Garmin45 GPS, or can it be found online somewhere and be downloaded?

Old May 15, 2008, 8:05 AM   #6
Administrator

The idea with a GPS is to have it logging coordinates while you have the camera with you taking photos. Some have an interval you can set, and some default to a given log interval.

Then, you use software to match up the log file to the images based on their date/time stamps, and the software writes the coordianates to the image's metadata. You also see features that allow you to correct for date/time settings differences with some of the software so that it finds the closest match in the GPS log data.

One issue you run into is the variety of log files used by GPS units. But, you can use free software to convert their formats into something other software can use to tag your photos. Here's one example of free software you can use for conversion. This page shows the formats supported:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.3.5/The_Formats.html

Even the free digiKam image management tool I use when running Linux has the ability to geotag images using GPX log files.

The main difference with some of the newer GPS devices is that they're being marketed towards use for geotagging images, with software included designed for that purpose.

Scroll down on this page and you'll see using GPX log files mentioned in the new Kipi Plugins section, with screen captures of it working with Google Earth (and you can also use the integrated Google Earth maps to select where you took the photos and let it update the coordinates versus using a log file; or you an enter them manually).

This particular software is Linux only. But, you can probably find something similar that works with Windows.

http://www.digikam.org/?q=about/features09x

Here's the list of new features they added in some of the plugins (note the GPX log file support).
  • Lossless transformations in JPEG pictures[/*]
  • Albums archives on CD/DVD[/*]
  • HTML export to remote Gallery[/*]
  • Send pictures by email[/*]
  • Add GPS coordinates to images by synchronizing them with a GPX files (created by GPS receivers and/or GPS tools), or by manually editing the longitude/latitude/altitude or also by using Google Map capabilities.[/*]
  • Export to remote FlickR[/*]
  • Calendar creation wizard[/*]
  • MPEG encoder[/*]
  • Acquire image (eg. with a flat scanner)[/*]
  • Raw image converter[/*]
  • Remote gallery export[/*]
  • Adjust time and date[/*]
  • Find images[/*]
  • Print wizard[/*]
  • Set wallpaper[/*]
  • Edit Pictures EXIF/IPTC Metadata[/*]
  • Create slideshow[/*]
  • Images batch processing[/*]

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 7:22 AM   #7

The current issue of PCmagzine has an article on getting geocoding data into the EXIF data. (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2305121,00.asp)
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 9:27 AM   #8

Thanks BillDrew!

The link "amost" worked. Has a " ) " at the end that interferes. Here is the same link, with corrections: PC MAG Geotagging