Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 27, 2008, 6:40 PM   #1

What photo organization method do you use?

Here's my problem: Picasa told me I have over 10k photos on my computer and many of them are probably duplicates. My wife and I do not have any kind of set organization method and we end up posting the pics on the desktop or under my pictures. We use Canon EOS Utility, Canon Browser EX, Picasa2, ACDsee 7.0, and the native Microsoft Windows XP pic viewer/organizer. We really are a mess. In addition, my wife likes to edit her photos and rename them using Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Does anyone have any organization method that they found effective? I think we have to 1) Re-organize our old pics; 2) have a set method to effectively file new photos.

Microsoft website told me to first create subfiles under Mypictures, by year (i.e. 2008, 2007, etc) then by subject.

Any opinions or tips?

Thanks in advance!!
footjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 8:38 PM   #2

I strongly suggest that you file your photos by date taken with directory names of YYYYMMDD or YYY-MM-DD so they sort in a very simple way. In addition keep a simple diary with entries like "2008-05-28 Went to the zoo with the family and Uncle Fred and Aunt Ethel. Flowers were in bloom." Then a simple search for "Zoo", "flowers", "family", "Fred", or "Ethel" will show you where those photos are.

The problem with filing buy subject is do you file a photo of Uncle Fred with a walrus next to some tulips under animals, family, or flowers?

There are several database organizers available. I haven't found a need or those to keep track of several spindles of CDs full of photos (now also on DVD with the best of them on an external hard drive.)
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 12:08 AM   #3

I strongly agree with Bill on this. Organize by date. Create folder for year, subfolder for month, and another subfolder for the day within the month. Keep a log.

I haven't taken the time to create a database either, but really should. Tried Microsoft Photo Info, but it doesn't edit some pictures from one camera.

Reorganiziing the existing photos is really going to be your biggest task. I believe there are programs which can help by searching Exif data for date/time or some other parameters. Don't remember which is which, though. You might try looking at C/net, or Major Geeks sites for utilites to do this.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 11:34 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you. I guess i can start organizing correctly from this day on by the date the photo was taken and something in the subject line. This is quite labor intensive but what choice do i have? Thanks.

footjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 10:50 PM   #5

It isn't very difficult to create the date-based files. I use Windows Explorer to upload to my hard drive. Simply select the photos you wish to upload, and use the edit menu to either move to or copy to the appropriate folder (I recommend using Copy To, since it won't delete the files on your memory card, and if there is a glitch, you haven't lost anything but time), creating the new folder as you go along. The advantaage to doing it this way, is that Explorer will always open to your last used folder, and you can just make the new folder from there. Adding keywords is a bit more work, but if you always do it when you upload the photos, it doesn't really take that much time.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:22 PM   #6

I run linux on my PC, and it has a fantastic photo manager called F-Spot. It automatically imports all my photos into a date-based file system: /YYYY/MM/DD/ Then I can add comments and tags in the program, which makes sorting really easy. It has basic editing features built-in, and will automatically create duplicate images if I want to edit in a separate app. Then it saves as filename (Modified).jpg. It has built-in versioning too. I've grown to like it a lot.

As soon as I plug in the camera (my FinePix S700 or the EOS 350D I'm playing with right now) it pops up the import dialog, and lets me set a tag on the files as they're imported.

It took me a few days/weeks to adjust, because I used to just copy the files from the media in the file manager ... but the Fuji doesn't do mass storage mode, just PTP, so I was forced to change to something new - thank goodness!! It's made life so much easier, once I adjusted my habits to something new and better.

It really is important to come up with a consistent way of saving your photos, or it's near impossible to find things a year or three from now.
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:02 AM   #7

also thumbview. gwenview, and much more, can't even remember most of them :-)
(because GNU/DEbian Lenny Linux - 5 DVD, and Eth -3 DVD
me personally prefer thumbview most time.
but from time to time, i swith to something other and vice versa.

after photos added to collections - you can sort them by almost all informations, available in EXIF/File Atteributes.
and easily can see duplicated photos

if you own CS2, you can use Adobe Bridge, comes with them for same task.

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote