Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 28, 2003, 5:02 PM   #1

Default Need help with PS 7.0

Hi,
I was taking pictures of my daughters soccer game in Shutter Priority Mode this morning using the Digital Rebel and it was overcast and all of my pictures are dark...Is there a fairly simple way to brighten up these pictures in PhotoShop?...Here's a link to one of the pictures if you want to check it out, http://www.fototime.com/849B9ED000FFF02/orig.jpg I'm struggling a little bit.

Thanks in advance!

See ya...Jerry
JerryL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2003, 8:41 PM   #2

Hi Jerry:

I am no expert.. (just love to play around with graphic software)..
but try this..
1- open your pics on PS7
2- goto Image/Adjustments/Curves (on the toolbar.. or Ctrl-M)
3- Set up input to 95 and output to 215

You can play around wiht the curve .. but with 95/215 IMHO you get a nice bright picture without the 'overexposed' look.

C.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 2:57 PM   #3

Default Another way.

Is to open your photos in PS & then go to Image/Adjustments/Levels (this is always my first post processing step). Using the eyedroppers on the bottom in the Levels pallet, choose the one for white & use it to select a point on the image that you know to be white (or use the gray one if you know for sure there is gray in the image). This will adjust your complete image to what it should be related to solid white, gray, etc. You can then use the sliders along the bottom of the image (in the pallet) to adjust brightness to your likeing.

Something to remember, if you select a white point & it causes weird color casts or contrast, just cancel out of it without effecting the image...(for that matter, you can select different points in the image with the dropper & see instantly the changes it makes & then go back to the best one). Go back to Levels again & try making slider adjustments to get the image the way you want it before you do any other adjustments.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 11:10 AM   #4

Your image has a lot of artifacts when I download it. The Rebel embeds a JPG file in a raw file that you can extract. I see no reason to ever shoot anything but raw with that camera, so Iím guessing you extracted the JPG. You would do best for your own use converting the raw to TIFF if you donít have the Photoshop plug-in to handle the raw file directly. You canít upload it that way to most sites Ė Iím just suggesting doing it for your own use.

I canít go any further than this or I start getting blocky artifacts in faces and the fence etc. The sky doesnít even have an even gradation in the downloaded image. And of course I had to compress it to JPG to put it on pbase which further degraded it. It looks OK screen size and might print decently 8 X 10, but if you display it in original size you can see where the color gradations are blocky Ė you can switch to the original from the selection on the bottom. http://www.pbase.com/image/21952578/large

If I were printing it I would do more work. The sky needs help and you can smooth out the blockiness that is developing in the faces. For this quick and dirty I first went Image>Adjustments>Auto Levels. Then Image>Adjustments>Selective Color and took a large reduction of the black in the red channel. Then I went back to selective color and reduced the black a little in the neutrals. You can bring it up to full bright sunny day but the artifacts become unbearable in the downloaded version. You might be able to do better with the original raw file converted to 48bit TIFF. You have to convert to 24bit (8 bit in Photoshop) to do most of the stuff, but it is a little better to import the image as 48bit.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:48 PM   #5

Default Brightening

This doesn't answer your question of how to do it with Photoshop - it only shows the result when I used ACDSee on it: my point is that with ACDSee it was quick and easy: all I did was increase the gamma and contrast levels. I added some sharpening too. (And reduced the picture size to save space at pBase.)
http://www.pbase.com/image/21970594
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 1:13 PM   #6

Default It was ASCDSee 3.0

I said I'd used ACDSee to modify the picture, but I didn't say which version. It was my good old version 3.0
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 1:34 PM   #7

Here's my try at it

http://www.pbase.com/image/22036264/large
Absolutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 9:33 AM   #8

You can get it looking normal in Photoshop as long as you display it screen size and not original size http://www.pbase.com/image/22067815/original.jpg

But the problem is that if you push it too far you get artifacts like these. I donít know whether it is in your changing it to BMP or there is just too much to bring up from the shadows. But no matter what approach I take, if I want it to look a little rich and not flat I get the artifacts:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote