Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:52 PM   #1

Hi, i have Photoshop CS3 that i like, and now i have PSP X2 that i think is also fantastic, personally i don't know what the difference is, and CS3 costs 5 times more also, but anyway in photoshop if the sky is burnt out i can make it blue, but i can't seem anywhere to find how to do that in PSP X2 does anybody know? thanks.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:01 AM   #2

hercules, here's one that lets you replace a bad sky with a good sky from another picture:

http://www.khiba.com/PSP/acompindex.htm

Scroll down that page to Image Correction Six.

Here's some information (not really a tutorial) on using the Color Replacer tool:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~suzshook/12tips081100.htm

It's right at the top of the page.

Hope you can use some of this!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:59 AM   #3

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
hercules, here's one that lets you replace a bad sky with a good sky from another picture:

http://www.khiba.com/PSP/acompindex.htm

Scroll down that page to Image Correction Six.

Here's some information (not really a tutorial) on using the Color Replacer tool:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~suzshook/12tips081100.htm

It's right at the top of the page.

Hope you can use some of this!

Grant
Thanks for those linksbut is that the only way to change the sky?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:43 PM   #4

hercules asks: Thanks for those linksbut is that the only way to change the sky?

Good question! I'm hoping that someone who actually uses PSP can answer authoritatively! I just found these links with a Google search.

I'm only acquainted with Photoshop and I've only used about three methods of sky improvement.

If the sky is bad but still usable, a major levels or curves adjustment, or a multiple application of the multiply blend mode might get an acceptable result. If the adjustment is so radical that major noise is brought out, sometimes Gaussian blur can smooth it over well enough.

If the sky is really blown, you need to either replace it entirely from another picture (I have a small catalog of sky shots that I took just to use as replacements) or add color into the existing sky by choosing a color from the color palette and playing with the layer opacity, or using something like the color replacement tool or one of the filters.

The sky replacement and color replacement options sounded like what the two PSP links that I provided dealt with. I figured that the levels/curves options were basic enough that PSP would feature them prominently and that anyone at all familiar with Photoshop would know what to do with them, so I didn't look for any PSP tutorials on those.

Off-hand, I don't know of anything else to do besides either enhancing the color already present in a sky, adding color to it artificially, or replacing it entirely from another photo.

What tools does PSP offer that perform those duties?

If the color replacement information in the one link wasn't very good, look for a tutorial for something like changing the color of someone's shirt. That's a pretty common use for a color replacement tool and the same technique could be applied to changing the color of a sky, too.

Like I said earlier, I hope that someone who has already explored those possibilities replies to your post. If not, you might be better off in one of the dedicated PSP user groups. They would be better able to provide a comprehensive answer.

Have fun!

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 5:26 AM   #5

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
hercules asks: Thanks for those linksbut is that the only way to change the sky?

Good question! I'm hoping that someone who actually uses PSP can answer authoritatively! I just found these links with a Google search.

I'm only acquainted with Photoshop and I've only used about three methods of sky improvement.

If the sky is bad but still usable, a major levels or curves adjustment, or a multiple application of the multiply blend mode might get an acceptable result. If the adjustment is so radical that major noise is brought out, sometimes Gaussian blur can smooth it over well enough.

If the sky is really blown, you need to either replace it entirely from another picture (I have a small catalog of sky shots that I took just to use as replacements) or add color into the existing sky by choosing a color from the color palette and playing with the layer opacity, or using something like the color replacement tool or one of the filters.

The sky replacement and color replacement options sounded like what the two PSP links that I provided dealt with. I figured that the levels/curves options were basic enough that PSP would feature them prominently and that anyone at all familiar with Photoshop would know what to do with them, so I didn't look for any PSP tutorials on those.

Off-hand, I don't know of anything else to do besides either enhancing the color already present in a sky, adding color to it artificially, or replacing it entirely from another photo.

What tools does PSP offer that perform those duties?

If the color replacement information in the one link wasn't very good, look for a tutorial for something like changing the color of someone's shirt. That's a pretty common use for a color replacement tool and the same technique could be applied to changing the color of a sky, too.

Like I said earlier, I hope that someone who has already explored those possibilities replies to your post. If not, you might be better off in one of the dedicated PSP user groups. They would be better able to provide a comprehensive answer.

Have fun!

Grant

Thanks, yes if the sky is really blown then your only option is just to change it like in PSP which is easy, i found another way to make the sky blue in PSP pretty much like photoshop, all in all i really like PSP especially the HDR Merge it hasthe only thing i don't see in PSPthat CS3 has is a Vignette tool unless theres another way of doing it