Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:34 PM   #1

Hi I just got Photoshop CS3 portable, it's a stand alone

It's fine but I can't open RAW files even though I've installed the correct camera raw converter file from Adobe web site (common files/adobe/plug-ins/CS3/ file formats)

any ideas

thanks
alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you sure you're copying the Camera Raw.8bi file to the correct folder? Note that the download file is a .zip file (so you have to extract the Camera Raw.8bi plugin using a tool like pkunzip, then copy the extracted Camera Raw.8bi plugin to the correct folder):

The latest Camera Raw version for CS3 is 4.4.1. That's the one you'll want to install Here's the Windows download page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3896

It looks like you missed the first part of the path you need to copy the plugin to (I didn't see Program Files in front of the path you posted). The extracted Camera Raw.8bi file needs to be copied to this folder (assuming you're running Windows):

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Here are the instructions:

Quote:
Installation Instructions After downloading a ".zip" file, use the operating system or a utility such as WinZip or PKZIP to access the file's contents.
Need help with downloading? See our Downloading Help documents.

To install with Adobe Creative Suite 3 or Photoshop CS3:

1. Exit Photoshop CS3.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C.
4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as in step 4.

7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge.

Note: If generic camera thumbnails appear in Adobe Bridge, follow these steps:

1. Check to make sure the plug-in was installed in the correct directory in step 4 above.
2. Start Bridge.
3. Choose Tools > Cache > Purge Central Cache.

Important: Purging the Central Cache deletes cached thumbnail information for all folders. It also deletes labels, ratings, and rotation settings for read-only files (for example, files on a CD or locked files) or file formats that don't have XMP support.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:33 PM   #3
Administrator

What camera model do you have? Adobe doesn't support raw files from all cameras.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:10 AM   #4

thanks, everything worked in CS2, camera is compatible etc

maybe problem is portable file .. not installed

Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:28 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
thanks Jim it is in the right spot but still no luck
Quote:
maybe because CS3 is actually installed .. it's a portable version
Quote:
Are you sure you're copying the Camera Raw.8bi file to the correct folder? Note that the download file is a .zip file (so you have to extract the Camera Raw.8bi plugin using a tool like pkunzip, then copy the extracted Camera Raw.8bi plugin to the correct folder):

The latest Camera Raw version for CS3 is 4.4.1. That's the one you'll want to install Here's the Windows download page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3896

It looks like you missed the first part of the path you need to copy the plugin to (I didn't see Program Files in front of the path you posted). The extracted Camera Raw.8bi file needs to be copied to this folder (assuming you're running Windows):

Program FilesCommon FilesAdobePlug-InsCS3File Formats

Here are the instructions:

Quote:
Installation Instructions After downloading a ".zip" file, use the operating system or a utility such as WinZip or PKZIP to access the file's contents.
Need help with downloading? See our Downloading Help documents.

To install with Adobe Creative Suite 3 or Photoshop CS3:

1. Exit Photoshop CS3.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C.
4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program FilesCommon FilesAdobePlug-InsCS3File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as in step 4.

7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge.

Note: If generic camera thumbnails appear in Adobe Bridge, follow these steps:

1. Check to make sure the plug-in was installed in the correct directory in step 4 above.
2. Start Bridge.
3. Choose Tools > Cache > Purge Central Cache.

Important: Purging the Central Cache deletes cached thumbnail information for all folders. It also deletes labels, ratings, and rotation settings for read-only files (for example, files on a CD or locked files) or file formats that don't have XMP support.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:05 AM   #6
Administrator

I'd never heard of CS3 portable, so I googled it....

The only CS3 Portable results that I see come up are for Cracked (read illegal) versions of Photoshop that have been modified to run from portable drives or USB Sticks.

CS3 Portable is not product marketed by Adobe from what I can tell about it.