Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:16 PM   #1

Hello,

I was hoping I could get some options or comments from the various people who frequent these forums. I am in no way a professional photographer instead more of a very interested amature. I am looking for a decent photo editor without making the move into Photoshop. Which I personally feel is to advanced and beyond my needs and ability. I am currently using Microsoft Picture-IT (yes someone bought that software LOL) and find it to be OK. There have been a few times I have wanted a few more features than it offers thus the reason I am looking at other options.

I know there may be shareware or other free products but my preference would be to purchase a retail or similar product. Without the huge cost of a Photoshop. I have seen photo shows that use Elements, but don't know much about it.

Would this be a good choice or are there better options? Again, I am only an amatuer looking for something to edit the family or vacation photo that didn't come out exactly as I hoped.

Any suggestions, comments or thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Amatuer
ttonnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:02 PM   #2

Paint Shop Pro and Photoimpact are both full-featured photo editors which are priced similarly to Elements. I have been a very satisfied user of Photoimpact since version 4. and am currently using v.10. Haven't bothered updating further, as it does everything I need except Raw conversion, and I have other s/w I like better for that anyway. I have used PSP, and found it pretty similar to PI, and if starting from scratch, would find it difficult to choose between them.

I have a copy of Photoshop Elements, which came with a scanner purchase. It is a very good editor, and has some nice features. I find it less easy to use than PI, maybe because I am more used to the PI interface and terminology. Elements would likely do most of what I need for my photography, but not for some of the graphics and design things.

If you think you will end up doing professional graphics, then Elements is probably the best choice, as it will be easier to transition to PS in the future. If you just want to keep it simple, either of the others will probably be easier to learn and use.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 5:59 PM   #3

Yay, finally another PhotoImpact user. As you say, you can probably do the same thing in Elements or PSP ( I have them as well), but to me at least, PI is so darn intuitive.
For example, making collages is super simple in PI. Just open several pictures side by side, then select and drag from one to the other. It just is so easy.
I'm at a music camp now, I've been taking a ton of pictures. The camp director asked me to make a collage to go on the front of the program for the Saturday concert. I tried to do it in PSP and couldn't figure out how, it was dead easy in PI.

I'm also using Version 10 of PI. No reason to upgrade, 10 does all that I need. I also have Elements 5 and Paint Shop Pro Photo X2.

Joe

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Paint Shop Pro and Photoimpact are both full-featured photo editors which are priced similarly to Elements. I have been a very satisfied user of Photoimpact since version 4. and am currently using v.10.
brian
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote