Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:05 PM   #1

Default ACDSee 6.0 powerpack

Well after using ACDSee systems 4.0 powerpack for the last couple of years I figured I would take the plunge and pay the upgrade fee now that 6.0 has just been released.

I had recently entered a photo contest on their website and managed to win a copy of ACDSee 5.0 which didn't offer in my opinion a whole lot over the 4.0 copy I had. So then I get the email that 6.0 is about to be released and would cost me $39.95 to upgrade since I had the 4.0 power pack so I figured, what the heck.

All I can say is: I'm in love with this software! In my honest opinion, they have really outdone themselves with 6.0. The interface for editing pictures is killer easy to use even compared to 4.0 and 5.0 and has alot of very cool features to make life and editing alot easier.

I won't get into details, but for anyone looking for an excellent, easy to use, relatively cheap photo editing package I suggest you download the 30day trial and try it out for yourself!
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2003, 8:39 AM   #2

Watch out. there are issues with the dvd recorder plextor 708a with dvd+r. it won't close the dvd+r. and i have had it fault out on reading a dvd+r with a large amount of images (200+). yeah other then those little problems it is an improvement.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:01 PM   #3

Default Less impressed

After reading these, I downloaded the trial version.

I agree that this new version seems quite capable and has a few extra features, but it seemed, to me, to be much less easy to use than my existing version (3.0). The new interface is quite different from 3.0. It seemed (to me) to have incorporated what I call bells and whistles that made it not easier to navigate, but more difficult. I didn't like the white background either - version 3.0 has a black background.

After a couple of days I gave up on it - so I've uninstalled it and gone back to version 3.0.

Incidentally, I also have, and sometimes use, Irfanview. It does a few things that ACDSee version 3.0 doesn't - e.g. Irfanview will easily add text to pictures, and it has some very convenient ways of adjusting the color balance. I also have Photoshop LE that does some things that neither ACDSee nor Irfanview do.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:50 PM   #4

Herb, yea for me it seems pretty straight forth but that might be because I have been using 4.0 for the last couple years. I am definately not a software guys so I can't really compare my experiences to other offerings on the market as my hands on experience is extremely limited.

The one thing I miss in 4.0 thats not present in 6.0 is 4.0's ability to add text and manipulate its appearance alot easier than in 6.0. There is alot of eye candy parts to it but I feel for me it was worth the upgrade cost....I just wish I could add a text signature to pictures a little easier with it...thats the one area I have found thus far that 4.0 was alot easier to work with. :?
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:36 AM   #5

Default Issues

I also downloaded the trail of acdsee and I have some issues with it. There are a few photos I dont want a lot of people seeing, so I resitricted access to the folders that these pics are in. Acdsee 6 stores thumbnails of these pics in its database and when you try to open the pictures the program crashes out to the desktop. In version 5 if it could not find the pictures it would not show the thumbnails. I also assign at least one keyword to each of my photos (most times more) and I cant seem to search for more than one keyword at a time. It always returns a zero result. Even if the right opions are check and the keywords are assigned. There are other minor bugs but those are liveable. All in all I agree that version 6 is a great product but I would not shell out my cash if these issues are not addressed.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:55 PM   #6

the issues you have brought up do not occur in my final version. i can open 200+ images in a flash of an external HD. i generally don't name most of mine unless their being worked on so the search feaure isn't an issue with me.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:32 PM   #7

I'm back to version 3.1 which feels very comfortable for me. I couldn't find some of the easy filing functionality in 6.0 that I had in 3.1, where I would be able to move a file to a recently used directory, or navigate from a recently used directory to another on the same drive, select it, and move the file.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 6:54 PM   #8

i felt that v5 was their best effort. v6 is too much and too busy. at least you can turn some ov it off.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 1:40 PM   #9

I would say that 6 takes a little getting use to and if it were bug free it would be great. I think that they have done something good in the way things are laid out. It is much more straight forward and you dont have to go through serveral menus to get to the options you use most. BUT THE BUGS ARE TOO MUCH.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 4:43 PM   #10

on or around Dec 2nd a service pack is coming out for v6