Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:23 AM   #1

hi
i take photos with a canon 450d and the images are 4mb jpgs.

When i edit them in PSP X2 the reduce in size (file size, not pixels) alot, even if i do a little edit like photo fix, or anything.

Is there a way of retaining the image size (File Size), as i need the image to be a large file size for stock libraries.

Ive not used masks at all yet, need to work it out, but has that got anything to do with it?

Thanks for any help
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:59 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with the layout of PSP, but the first thing that I would look at is the compression (JPEG quality) setting that PSP is using to save your images.

In Photoshop, when you do a save or save as, you get a dialog box that asks how you want to save the file. If you're saving a JPEG, you get to choose the quality at which the file is saved. The higher the quality, the lower the compression used and the bigger the file size.

It could be that even at the highest quality setting offered by PSP, it'll still compress the file more than the camera did. If the difference isn't drastic, it may not be worth worrying about.

If you are going to worry about it, you might need to save your JPEG's as TIFF files through PSP. That will give you waaaay bigger file sizes than the original JPEG. But, then, you need more hard drive space to store them and TIFF might not be an acceptable format for the stock libraries you work with....

Hmm, I just got an idea.

You might be able to get some idea of the relative quality of the straight file from your camera and the maximum save size coming from PSP by making a large print of a file straight out of the camera, then printing the same file after it has been saved through PSP at the highest quality (don't edit the file in any way, just save it as it came from the camera). Compare the two prints and see whether you (and others) can tell the difference. If people can't reliably see a quality difference, then you'll know that it's not anything to worry about!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:50 AM   #3

as long as understang - Subject - result different JPEG compressions quality in yours 450d and PSP X2.
so you migh need to find a way to alter parameter, at which X2 saves pictures.
or use another software.

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 4:11 AM   #4

thanks, im sure the quality will be fine, but, as these are for stock libraries, Mb size matters, bigger the better.

i might try raw only, and only compress to jpg as the final save.

thanks again
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:47 PM   #5

Go to file -> Save As -> and on the window where you can enter your file name you will see a button for Options in the bottom right hand corner. If you click that it will take you to a menu to set the jpeg compression. Turn it down to 1 for maximum file size and minimum compression. I keep mine set to 10, I think 20 is default.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 2:39 AM   #6

yup thanks, found that setting last week, makes a nice difference