Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:48 AM   #1

This is long and I am tech. challenged.

My cameras: Kodak C663, Casio EX-V8 and Panasonic FX3, all use SD memory, so I use a card reader and download into Kodak Easy Share software. I also have ArcSoft PhotoImpressions 5 , Hot Album and Adobe Photoshop 2 (starter edition). I only use the Kodak ES.

I am fairly happy with the Kodak ES, it crops and enhances and does almost all the editing I want. I save my pictures to albums by subject. I would like to be able to write or draw on a picture and save it as part of the picture. I think the PhotoImpressions will do that.

The point of my post; I want to produce a permanent slide show and save it to a CD that will play on my TV via the DVD player.

Here is what is happening to me. I transport my pictures to a new album in the order I would like them to play or appear. I press (slide show) and it plays on the computer screen in the correct order. LIFE IS GOOD I save them to a CD and they are out of order and the CD will not play in the DVD player. LIFE IS NOT GOOD I go back to the album to replay a slide show and the pictures are no longer in the correct order. LIFE IS REALLY NOT GOOD I understand that I need special software to burn a CD that will play on the DVD player, but why don't my albums play in order every time?

What software will solve my problems? (write on pictures, set up a permanent slide show and burn a CD that will play on the TV) It has to be simple because by now you know I probably shouldn't have a dgital camera. HELP :?

bsekf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:39 AM   #2

Look at a program from www.photodex.com called "Pro-Show Gold. It allows you to arrange the photo's just as you want them and also lets you adjust the time they appear on the TV screen. You can also add music. Just be sure to use DVD-R media so the DVD's can be played on old as well as newer players. I have found "Sony" to be the best DVD discs. Pro-Show Gold is a pretty easy program to learn and works very good.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:43 PM   #3

i support what ronnie said pro show is great.........take the time to learn what it can do. go look at the website and see sample shows.

there have been discussions plenty of times on here about slide shows and nothing beat pro show !!

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:31 PM   #4

You might want to look into the free software Irfanview http://www.Irfanview.com

It has the ability to do slideshows, and the latest version can use Nero for burning DC/DVD.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:47 PM   #5

Hmm. I'm surprised that your disk wouldn't play on your DVD player.

I've done numerous slideshows on CD's and they played just fine on my and other people's DVD machines.

Does your DVD player support JPEG picture disks? It should tell you what formats the player will play in the manual. Most DVD players will support this. If the player does support this format, it will usually give you a preferred size range (pixel dimensions for the individual pictures) that the player will display the best. Try to get the pictures into this range.

All that I do is burn a series of pictures to a CD in JPEG format and choose the "Finalize Disk" option in the burning software. This plays with no problem for me and people that I've burned copies for.

I don't know about your ordering problem. I haven't been fussy about the display order. You might try changing the names of the pictures before you burn them, labeling the first one "1", the second one "2" and so forth.

Doing a JPEG picture disk won't let you do anything fancy, like transitions, or choose the display time of each photo. DVD players often have a couple of options for display time, but you have to take what the machine offers.

The only alternative is to do a DVD slide show. Then you can set all the options exactly as you would like them and add things like music and/or voice narration. If you want to experiment with that, you can create DVD slide shows for free if you have either Windows XP or Vista. Check out a program included with these operating systems called "Windows Movie Maker." I've used this to make several DVD slide shows with narration. It's not hard to use and has good internet user forums.

If you save your completed DVD slide show to the DV-AVI option with Movie Maker, your DVD burning software probably can convert that to a format that will play on a regular DVD player. I still use Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator 6, and it has no problem doing this. Anything newer should certainly not have a problem.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:36 AM   #6

Microsoft has a great free progam that makes slide shows, has lots of transitions and has a nice selection of music that you can adjust to tempo or style and the program adjust the music lenght to match the show.

Photo Story 3

BiLL
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:24 AM   #7

I recommend DVD Slideshow Builder 4 which is a professional software that can create DVD photo slideshows with photos, video clips and music and publish MPEG/AVI/WMV/MP4/3GP or burn CD/DVDs directly.

What it attract me is its plenty 2D/3D transitions and Ken-Burns effects.

Find more from its official website:

http://www.ourpix.com/index.html#106

jessicasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:12 PM   #8

Hi,,, did you figure out how to make a slideshow that will play on your dvd player/tv? I am attempting to make a dvd with a slideshow and music that will play on my tv...with no success...LIFE IS NOT GOOD...The dvd player (emerson) says.... Disk Error plesae eject the disk..playback feature may not be available on this disk...do I have a wrong format or do I need to do something different... I have tried to do the slideshow on 2 different disk and have tried kodak easy share and google picaso. Please advise.
OcalaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:03 AM   #9

I have had excellent success with Windows Movie Maker for producing slide shows. It can do titles and transitions, etc. The only problem, of course, is that it only saves the slide shows as .WMV files, which won't play on DVD. Solution was to use a free program called DVD Flick, which will convert most any A/V to the correct format for DVD, and is completely painless. (nothing to learn-it is completely automatic) .

I originally did this so my tech challenged mother could view slide shows on her DVD player. Life is good.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 4:14 AM   #10

Overall, I like photo story platinum and will keep it as an alternative to use along with MS Photo Story 3 and MS Movie Maker. The MS duo has much better graphics, filters, etc and is more consistent in performance but the output options and more than 200 templates that Wondershare offers makes it a worthy tool,i like burn the photos to dvd slideshow and display on TV not just share online.

http://photodvdslideshow.blogspot.com

Last edited by peomeo; Jun 26, 2009 at 4:16 AM.
peomeo is offline   Reply With Quote