Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 26, 2008, 5:18 PM   #1

My new Pentax K200D shipped with Silkypix for post-processing of images. Up until now, I've been using iPhoto to tweak jpgs from my point and shoots - with good results. Of course, I didn't expect to make major adjustments to jpgs - just some minor tweaking and occasional cropping. But nothing dramatic. And I certainly didn't need any photo editing software with my old film SLRs. Before I load Silkypix onto my iMac, does anyone have any experience with and/or opinion of this program? Any recommendations? I expect my photo ratio will be a 50-50 mix of jpgs and RAW. All kinds of photos. I am a generalist- for now.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:52 PM   #2

Is it Silkypix or the Pentax Photo Lab with the Silkypix raw converter engine in it?

I have both and trust me, the Pentax Photo Lab isn't Silkypix. This is not to say you can't get stellar results with PPL, you most certainly can. The interface of the real version of Silkypix is just so muce more friendly.

I like the real version immensely!

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:55 PM   #3

I agree with Dennis, the Pentax Photo Lab is powerful but clunky to use. If you're not sure if your long term use will include RAW but want to experiment before you invest in a RAW developing program it would be worth playing with. I don't use RAW often but I have been happy with Lightroom for my purposes. I tried the Silkypix full version demo and thought it was a close second to Lightroom.

For jpeg editing I use Paint Shop Pro X2, it also will open Pentax RAW files. I still have a lot to learn before my abilities outstrip the programs capabilities and I have to move up to Photoshop (actually I doubt that will ever happen).

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote