Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:32 AM   #1

Hi, i just bought the Canon 450D and CS3 will not open the RAW pictures, it tells me that (could not complete your request because it's not the right kind of document) can someone help me on this thank you.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:55 PM   #2

Go to http://www.adobe.com and get the newest version of Adobe Camera RAW 4.5. Just released.
samspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 1:01 PM   #3

samspade wrote:
Quote:
Go to http://www.adobe.com and get the newest version of Adobe Camera RAW 4.5. Just released.
Thanks i figured it out
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:34 AM   #4

What did you have to do to get this working? I'm having the same problem. I downloaded the 4.5 version, installed it as explained by Adobe and still can not get PS to recognize RAW images from a 450D. Adobe Bridge also has problems. The Canon software can find the RAW images and transfer them to Adobe.
hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:22 AM   #5

hummel wrote:
Quote:
What did you have to do to get this working? I'm having the same problem. I downloaded the 4.5 version, installed it as explained by Adobe and still can not get PS to recognize RAW images from a 450D. Adobe Bridge also has problems. The Canon software can find the RAW images and transfer them to Adobe.
That's all i did was download 4.5 version, maybe close and restart PS again.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6

Just to clarify: once I copy the RAW files from the camera to the hard disc using Canon software, PS can read the file fine. However, PS can not find the files on the camera and download. It can find and donwload RAW files on my son's Nikon D80.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:24 AM   #7
Administrator

hummel:

What Photoshop Version? If CS3, did you install the latest version of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin (currently 4.5)?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=windows

RAW files are not the same between camera models, even within the same camera manufacturer. So, Adobe updates their Camera Raw plugin to support new cameras on a regular basis. If a camera model is not supported, it won't see or convert the files.

Are you using CS3? The latest Adobe Camera Raw plugins (all 4.x versions) require CS3. They won't work with earlier Photoshop versions.

The last version of Camera Raw released for Photoshop CS2 was version 3.7 (which does not support the newer cameras). The last version for CS was 2.4.

If you are using CS2 or C2 instead of CS3, and want to use Adobe Camera Raw (the plugin in Photshop for raw conversion), there is a work around using Adobe's free DNG converter. You'd need to convert your raw files to .dng format first using the converter. Then, you could convert the .dng files using Camera Raw under CS or CS2. IOW, it would be a two step conversion process.

Here is where you can download the latest version of the DNG converter (just get the latest one). But, make sure you don't replace the Camera Raw .8bi plugin in your Photoshop plugin folder if you're not using CS3 (or it won't work). You'll need to stick with one of the 3.x version of Camera Raw with CS2:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=windows

If you're using CS versus CS2, you'll need to install Adobe Camera Raw version 2.4 instead (which supports .DNG files) and then convert the files to DNG using the Adobe DNG Converter in order to open them.

You could also look into a third party raw conversion solution. For example, Bibble Pro from http://www.bibblelabs.com

It's a very fast converter and it's cross platform (Linux, Mac, Windows).

Bibble also offers a plugin that can work with Photoshop CS2 with their Pro version (or, you could use it as a stand alone converter).

There are many other solutions available now, too. One free converter you may want to look at is Raw Therapee (stand alone only, no plugin available for Photoshop).

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:45 AM   #8
Administrator

If you are using CS3, make sure you've got the Camera Raw .8bi plugin in the correct folder (as there are several folders with names that are very similar). If you scroll down on this page, you'll see instructions for installing it:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3943

After unzipping the 4.5 update, you'll need to make sure you copy the Camera Raw .8bi plugin to this folder:

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:46 AM   #9

Thanks. Here's some more information.

Yes, I am using CS3 - a new install (about 2 weeks old) with the latest Adobe 4.5 plugin. I downloaded the plugin directly from Adobe even though it had already been installed during the initial CS3 installation. Let me explain what is happening more fully.

With my son's Nikon D80, the camera is seen by the computer a drive (K). Adobe Bridge can see all of the files on the drive, with thumbnails. I have no problem accessing RAW and jpg images.

With the Canon, the camera isn't linked as a drive. Under PS, I have to access it using 'import'. PS3 gives me the option of accessing my camera as a WIA device. When I choose that option, I get thumbnails of each of my jpgs but none of the RAW files are displayed. I can download the jpgs with no problem. Of course, I can't download the RAW files since they aren't listed anywhere

When I try Adobe Bridge, there is a different situation. I use the 'get photos from camera' menu choice. That lists the Canon camera. Selecting that brings up a window showing thmubnails of all of the photos in the camera. For jpgs, I get a good thumbnail. For the RAW files, unlike with PS3, I do find the files. However, the thumbnail just shows a generic 'placeholder. Plus, when I attempt to copy any file from my camera (jpg or RAW), I get an error message that the file is not available and to check my USB connection.

The third option is using Canon's own software. This shows all photos (RAW and jpg) with thumbnails. I can copy the files with no problem.

Once I have copied the files to the computer using the Canon software, things are fine: I see thumbnails for all photos (RAW and jpgs), Bridge can access all photos and show thumbnails and photo information, PS3 can load an edit the RAW and jpg files.

Based on this, the problem doesn't look like a core PS3 plugin issue. Any other thoughts (or is this just normal behaviour)?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:04 AM   #10
Administrator

OK -- so your problem is that you're trying to use the Camera as a card reader for transferring your images and Canon's drivers are not letting some applications see the raw files properly.

I can't remember the last time I've directly attached a camera to a PC it's been so long (years). A card reader is a better bet, since they're seen as a USB Mass Storage compliant device, without the need to use things like PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) to get the images, which can cause issues, since the camera manufacturers drivers enter the equation with many models. A card reader is usually much faster compared to directly attaching a camera, too. You also don't have to worry about the camera's battery being charged that way to transfer photos.

Some camera models have a way to select the Transfer Protocol used (and USB Mass Storage is a better bet for compatibility. From a quick skim through our review, I didn't see that option in the 450D menus (although we may have missed it).

I'd suggest getting a card reader. They're very inexpensive. Make very sure that any card reader you buy specifically supports SDHC, as *most* Secure Digital card readers will not read SDHC cards.

You may also want to install Canon's codecs for letting Windows Explorer (and applications that rely on Windows Imaging Components) to view your raw files. That can make it easier for browsing through folders on your hard drive. But, it's unlikely that Photoshop is using these codecs for listing available files.

http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/codecs.aspx