Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 11, 2003, 2:02 AM   #1

Default Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop?

I am not sure what program is the best?

Thanks for your input.
gary_hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:14 AM   #2
kex

I think Photoshop is more common and has more features as Paint Shop Pro has.
But they're both good I think.
But I like Photoshop much better!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2003, 9:06 AM   #3

People generally like what they use, and find it difficult to learn new tricks, especially if the tricks are *nearly* the same but not quite. Your replies are therefore likely to divide into poverty-stricken people who will have bought PainShopPro in the past rather than Photoslop, and those who lashed out on Photoslop as the flagship one used by all the professionals. Each party will like what they know, and advocate it.

If you can, I suggest you try out any trial versions, demos etc, and see which you like better. Also try the various other image editors that come with cameras and scanners. This may teach you how bad some of them can be.

I use PaintShopPro 7.04 at present, having upgraded many times over the years, and I'm very happy with it. By all accounts PSP8 is better (and deals to some extent with EXIF data, which v7 doesn't).

The nearest I've come to Photoshop is Photoshop 5LE, which came free with a scanner. I quite liked it, but found almost evey function a little more tricky to use than PSP. PS5LE has a nice screen showing lots of variations on the same image, which I liked, and which I still use occasionally when I'm struggling to get a colour balance right in PSP. I found PS5LE's printing routines difficult to understand, compared with PSP's excellent page layout and preview facilities. I notice from queries here and elsewhere that many newbies find Photoshop printing a bit mystifying.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2003, 3:44 PM   #4

Default Re: Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_hendricks
I am not sure what program is the best? .
That is kinda like asking, "Which is better, a Volkswagan or a Rollls Royce?". The Rolls will get you into a few places you can't go with the Volks - not quite into the Royal enclosure at Ascot, but closer.

But the Volkswagon is better to learn how to drive with. By the time you figure out that you want to do things that PSP won't do, enough time will have passed that you will have avoided at least one upgrade for PS. The upgrade on PS is more than the full price of PSP.

I used PSP for several years and was happy with it until I figured out that I wanted masked adjustment layers.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:54 PM   #5

I'm a long-time PSP user but I've been struggling recently with version 8.01, which has more ways to crash than seems reasonable in any retail software package. The upgrade patch to 8.10 is a major improvement, though I haven't been using it long enough to be as confident of it as I was of the old 7.04.

Whatever, PSP is excellent value for money and easily the second best photo editor I've used. However, the user community for PSP is far less active than that for PS. Forums and websites are full of good techniques and actions for PS while PSP gets pretty feeble support from JASC (the publisher's own forums are poorly supported and don't always work properly) and the macro language - Python - built into PSP since version 8 just hasn't been around long enough to have generated much of a library yet.

Having said all that, PS costs more than a middling good digital camera and PSP about as much as a medium sized memory card. You have to decide where you want to put your money.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 7:13 AM   #6

As with every thing in life there is no easy answer, and I'm going to make it more difficult for you to choose. I think, IMHO, that there is a better program than the two you mentioned. It is, insert drum roll, Picture Window Pro by Digital Light and Color. Althouth not as well known as the others it is an advanced professional level photograph editing program. It is not, like Photoshop, a full blown graphics art program but a program dedicated to editing photographs and it excells at this. It only costs about 10% of what Photoshop does! Check out a review at http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_PictureWindowPro.htm and you can check out the software at http://www.dl-c.com . The company founder, Jonathan Sachs, provides excellent support via the company Message Board, it doesn't get any better than this. Good luck.

Gord
millarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 7:16 AM   #7

As with every thing in life there is no easy answer, and I'm going to make it more difficult for you to choose. I think, IMHO, that there is a better program than the two you mentioned. It is, insert drum roll, Picture Window Pro by Digital Light and Color. Althouth not as well known as the others it is an advanced professional level photograph editing program. It is not, like Photoshop, a full blown graphics art program but a program dedicated to editing photographs and it excells at this. It only costs about 10% of what Photoshop does! Check out a review at http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_PictureWindowPro.htm and you can check out the software at http://www.dl-c.com . The company founder, Jonathan Sachs, provides excellent support via the company Message Board, it doesn't get any better than this. Good luck.

Gord
millarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:17 PM   #8

Default Overlooked

Macromedia Fireworks is very similar to Photoshop in it's abilities and cost is $299.00-US. I have both & like the Fireworks "slices" controls better than Photoshops...much nicer for integrating large graphics into Web Designs.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:26 PM   #9

Fenlander, I also am an avid PSP user. PSP 8 still has too many problems, so I now use PSP 7 with no problems at all. I see little difference in the two version, except that PSP 7 doesn't crash.

I also have Photoshop, but still prefer PSP. It surely is a matter of what we are most familiar with, but I didn't see features in Photo which I couldn't use in PSP.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:56 PM   #10

Janet-
I'm pretty much using PSP 8 exclusively now, although I haven't yet un-installed PSP 7.4.

PSP 8.10 is a great improvement in stability over 8.01. It seems to have fixed all of the problems that I personaly ran into with v- 8.01, and it is a bit faster. So far it seems quite stable in my normal work flow--although I haven't intentionally tried to stress test it yet.

For me, the major advantage of version 8 over version 7 is the way the 'crop' interface works and the rotate/align feature. Scripting seems a welcomed featue too, but I have a lot more experimenting to do before I feel comfortable with it.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote