Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:16 PM   #1

I just want to experiment with the raw formate, so I downloaded Adobe camera raw and it installed on my cs3. When I try to fix or edit a pic in raw mode, a different interface is opened in cs3. My question is, is there a way to work on raw files using the photoshop interface instead, or it is necesary to convert the raw to a different format in order to take advantage of all the cs3 options?
Thanks!
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2008, 2:17 PM   #2

Hi artmustel,
You've nailed it on the head, first you have to convert the Raw file with Adobe's Camera Raw plugin (or any other converter you might like, there are many) ...then you can save out to the format of your choice (tiff, psd, etc) and can then work on the converted file in CS3. Sadly you can't work on the Raw directly in CS3 without converting it first, as you suspected.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 2:28 PM   #3

Hi, Goomer. Thanks for your response. What format would you suggest?
I want to know how to take advantage of the raw high quality potential. Should I convert them to .psd to edit them in photoshop? Than, after edited, how should I save them?
Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 3:35 PM   #4

Hi again,
I personally convert Raw to Tif in Adobe Camera Raw . I then do my editing in Photoshop on the Tiff and when done save out to Tif Iossless. I keep several copies of both the Raw and the Tif files archived, and if I need a Jpeg later I just convert from the Tiff file. Hope this helps.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:08 PM   #5

I will try your workflow, Goomer. Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:17 PM   #6

One thing I've been playing with the last couple of days is Lightroom 2 and Photoshop. LR2 allows you to make adjustments to the raw file, then edit it (I've been using a copy of the original with the Lightroom adjustments applied rather than the original file) in Photoshop. Any changes youmake and save in Photoshopare seen in LR. Since I've been using copies of the original for editing, LR has automatically created a tiff file in the same folder as the original, and that's whatPhotoshopedits, but the conversion is invisible and you can continue to make changes to the new tiff file in Lightroom. You don't have to use a copy or tiff, there are other options, but that's what I've usually done in the past using Lightroom 1 and CS2.

I'm still playing around with everything - I'm going from PC/CS2/Lightroom to Mac/CS4/Lightroom2 and my mind is still trying to get used to all these changes. I'm feeling very overwhelmed by the changes to Photoshop, since I skipped CS3, and seem to be having trouble finding much on CS4's new way of working. And I'm not sure whether the adjustment tools in Lightroom are enough different from the current version of ACR to make it worth-while.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote