Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:44 PM   #1

I need to extract a central image from the surrounding background for quite a number of images. Both the foreground and the background are complex and of similar color. I have been using PhotoImpact with the magnetic selection tool to laboriously paint the edge of every image and then cut it out from its surroundings.

I'm looking for a better, easier, faster way to do it. Is there any software that is particularly good at extracting one part of an image out from the rest?

Thanks for the help
TwiceWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2

What you describe with a complex interface and similar color can't usually be done with simple selection tools. If you can't select it out with fine adjustments to the color selection or magic wand you probably won't do well with a simple tool.

You might download a trial version of Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Elements to see if they have a selection tool that works better for you.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:26 PM   #3

PhotoImpact is a semi-professional photo editor designed by Ulead and the equal of either PSP or Elements. I was hoping that there was a stand-alone add on that was specifically designed for selection and extraction of an image. It may be that no such tool exists.

But, thanks for the help anyway.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:30 AM   #4

Which version of PI are you using? With PI v.10, I have found the Extract Object subroutine to be somwhat better than the lasso. Simply paint around the object to extract. With the object and background of similar colors, though, it can be a matter of magnifying and using a very thin brush, and is still somewhat painstaking.

I have used a version of PSP, and have PS Elements 3, as well as a couple other freeware and shareware editors, and haven't found anything that improves on PI.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:39 PM   #5

I tried the extraction wizard in X3 and don't know that it was any better than drawing a selection envelope by hand. Seems like there ought to be a better way of doing it, but I guess there isn't.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:51 PM   #6

TwiceWise, There are certainly stand-alone and plugin programs that specialize in image cut-outs.

This may not help you out, but Fluid Mask 3 is one of the best products available for the purpose -- but it costs in the neighborhood of $200.00! Here's a link:

http://www.vertustech.com/fm_overview.htm

Googling on terms like cut-out software and such should bring up others.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote