Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:50 PM   #1

Hi

I would like to get a software progam, that dosen't cost alot, to store and play with all the pictures that we have.

I have-Lexmark Imaging Studio, Adobe Photoshop Album starter edition 3.2, Finpixview, Canon Zoom Browser EX, on my computer now. I also have a Kodak progam, Dell photo, and Photoshop elements 2.0.

We have a Canon A720 IS, Fuji finepix S5700, and an older Kodak 3400. I'm looking to up grade to another for my self, but would like 1 progam to capture and adjust the pictures. Maybe later I would likt to try RAW.

Would Photoshop Elements 7 be good or what would you suggest?

Rick

RDF-KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:32 PM   #2

Seriously, buy a mac and use iPhoto.

iPhoto comes with the MAC for free, really easy to use, and probably does most of what you'd like to do.

With iPhoto you can create a pretty good slideshow (with Ken Burns effect) with very little effort and then burn it to a DVD.

I've used Photoshop elements, etc. etc. and I've never really got into it.

Another cool program for the PC, if you shoot RAW, is RAWSHOOTER (it's free). It does a really good job of working with RAW photos.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:01 PM   #3

I've never used a Mac, always have a windows computer.
RDF-KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 9:11 PM   #4

If your willing to shoot RAW format, then use RAWSHOOTER (it's free).

RAWSHOOTER runs on the PC.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:38 AM   #5

Well to be honest, if your really serious about image editing then I would spring for photoshop, it's a little expensive but the possibilities are endless.
klancenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:57 PM   #6

Rick - I'm facing the same problem you are. I've downloaded the trial of PSP X2 and the one for PS Elements 7. I have used an old version of PSP for 6 years and it is time to upgrade. I am learning toward Elements 7 at this point. It just seems to be better, after playing with both.I also like the fact Costco is selling it for $49 after a $30 rebate. I'm sure there will be a learning curve to Elements, as I have not used it before.

I downloaded the free Silkypix for my RAW picsandI like that, but I am going to play with the RAW converter in Elements and see how it matches up. I really like the way Silkypix does my RAW though and its free, unless you upgrade to the full version. Good luck on your decision - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7

Before you really invest in PS, have a look at www.pl32.com - I use PhotoLine instead of PS and you get RAW development + postprocessing in a well-priced package. For sure not the "original", but very capable. Demo version available too.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 4:23 PM   #8

Ok i have PS CS3 and i also have Paint Shop Pro X2 Ultimate, both are very powerful programs but CS3 is not worth 600.00 dollars, PSP X2 Ultimate cost like 70.00 dollars and does pretty much what CS3 can, also PSP X2 blows PS elements out of the water, if you do happen to get the Ultimate version it will also open up your RAW pictures, and if you want free for RAW get Raw Therapee which is good
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:39 AM   #9

Just picked up Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 Ultimate yesterday. It has support for RAW files for many cameras. I paid $49.95 for it from BestBuy.

Tim
ZippyZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:42 AM   #10

Do you have any connection to a school? If so, then Adobe gives a very good discount for its programs. I happen to like Lightroom for viewing, organizing and most adjustments. Not sure it's worth the full retail price, but I think it's well worth it for the $99 educational cost. It works with both jpg and raw files, but is "non-destructive" so you can't do something like cutting yourself out of one picture and pasting it in another one. The advantage is that if you do a bunch of stuff and don't like it, you can always go backwards several steps or push a button to revert to the original, unedited version.

Many people like Picasa - a free program. I looked at it but have been using Photoshop for a long time and got frustrated trying to figure out how to do something that wasn't obvious (but I knew how to do easily in Photoshop) so can't give an objective view of it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote