Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:50 PM   #1

When burning images to disk there is a feature called disk scanning for use when the number of files(images) exceed the disk capacity. I think it's easier and quicker to use this scanning than trying to manually fit the files to the disk through trial and error.

Can anyone recommend a good and easy to use software program for disk scanning and preferably free.

Hope this is correct forum for this topic. Thanks.

picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:17 PM   #2

I have used Roxio and Nero, and they both use a graphic at the bottomof the screen showing disk space available, and a second graph showing the space the files you have selected take up.

For freeware or shareware, I would look a majorgeeks.com They have a pretty large selection of freeware, and a good section on multimedia. C/net also has a pretty comprehensive selection of software. I guess I like majorgeeks, because they check for viruses/spyware before they list someone's software on their site.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 5:52 AM   #3

VTphotog, thanks very much for your response. I will follow up your suggestions today. Will post if successful.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:42 AM   #4

VT again,

I used Ashampoo backup and now have 4 image backup disks! One thing, as I thought, backup is different than just burning images to disk like a copy. Can't view in my software viewers but need to do a Restore in Ashampoo also. Have not yet done that and don't need to restore as I have the pictures on my hard drive. Anyway to just view the images on the disk? How do you tell if they are there except taking word from the burning program?!

Any further enlightenment for me? Thanks again.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 5:20 PM   #5

picsgalore, it sounds like what you did is to use a disk imaging backup utility when all you you wanted to do is burn copies of certain pictures to disk.

Disk imaging programs are great for protecting your data, but if you just want a straight copy of say, a folder of jpeg's, then all you need is a "regular" disk burning program like Roxio Easy Media Creator, or something similar.

I don't know how you can view picture files from Ashampoo, but even older programs like Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 (which I still use) will let you do disk spanning.

I forget why I don't like disk spanning, but I used the feature before and there was some kind of hassle about needing the first disk in the set before you could display the stuff on the second disk. At least, that's how Roxio worked it. Also, if you want to play your jpeg disks on a TV set through a DVD player, there might be problems with one or both disks in a multi-disk set.

I think that to simplify things, you're going to have to recopy your picture folders using just the standard procedure for burning data straight to a disk istead of using an ISO (or whatever format Ashampoo saves in) drive image of the folders in question. Then you won't have any problems viewing your pix or sending copies to friends.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 6:10 PM   #6

Grant, thanks for response. I use Roxio v9 but it does not allow disk span for copying to CD-R. It only allows disk span if you use or select "Backup". Same with Ashampoo. In fact I think all the similar burning programs do the same. Now maybe if I sprung for a paid program it may have spanning for copying images to a CD-R.

The spanning feature is lots easier than trying to manually load folders/files to fit the disk capacity. I have over 3GB of jpgs and wanted to just burn the one main folder "Pictures" and all sub folders and files (images). Hope this clarifies it a little better.

I have done as you suggest for copying/burning with other smaller folders/files.

Thanks again for your interest and response.

Pics.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:41 PM   #7

Though I haven't used it myself, a lot of people seem to be very satisfied with Final Burner. It appears to be a general burning program as well as a backup.

When I do photo backups to DVD, I use Nero, and just copy the photos to disk. This keeps the files intact, and viewable, though it probably takes more disk space as it bypasses the compression.

I guess one reason I haven't had much trouble in this regard is that I seem to take fewer pictures than most of the people I hear about, and am pretty stringent about culling after I get them uploaded to my computer. Which reminds me, it's time to do some more deleting.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:18 PM   #8

VTPhotog and granthagen,

Thought I should update on my scanning. Somehow I found that I need to use a DVD type disk and most programs will support disk scanning! Sorry I didn't know that. I had been using a CD-R.

So I do appreciate you responses and help and it did lead me to realize about DVD's etc. Thanks again.