Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 23, 2008, 1:53 PM   #1

Hi, Just a quick survey to find out how long do you spend on an individual photograph when working with your editor ie, PS or PSP etc.
Also can someone explain to me how when working with Adobe Bridge do you setup to go direct to ACR from the Bridge as I keep getting directed to PS for ACR.

Many Thanks.

russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:40 PM   #2

Which version of Bridge do you have? As I recall with the version of Bridge that came with CS2, if you double click a raw file it would automatically open photoshop and ACR. I don't remember any way to open a file in ACR by itself.

Bridge CS4 has a separate button at the top where you can open a picture in ACR without opening Photoshop. It's on the same line as the directional arrows, and looks like a ring - below is a screen shot with it circled.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:20 PM   #3

Each picture is different I spend as much time as needed depending on what I'm doing.

Go to "Edit" "preferences" Then select "File Type Associations" find the file type and select ARC from the drop down menu

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:23 AM   #4

Usually longer than I'd like.

Sometimes I'll get a shot that looks pretty good with just a "levels" adjustment and some sharpening. But most of the time, I'll see that one section of the picture needs more or less of something than it has and start opening up multiple adjustment layers.

More often than not, I shoot RAW, so that runs into a bit more time right there.

I'm sure that I could "get by" with less post processing than I do, but it's hard to look at all of the tools sitting on the screen in front of me and not picking up just one more of them.

Things would be simple if all a guy had was a hammer. Then, you could either do a certain job or not. But add saws and wrenches and screwdrivers and drills, and suddenly you can't seem to get by with just using the hammer anymore.

I'm going to guess and say that I maybe spend an average of 15 minutes on a pic.

The better the potential of a certain pic, the more time I'll spend tweaking it.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:24 AM   #5

Time spent really depends on each image.
Can be anything from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours.
I find I spend more time editing others' photos than on my own pics.

For ACR...which version of PS ?

In CS2, open Bridge and go to Edit > Preferences (Ctrl + K).
In the Advanced window, check the box for 'Double click Edits Camera Raw Settings in Bridge'.
Or if you don't always want the same behaviour, right click on an image thumbnail (or image preview) and click on 'Open in Camera Raw'.

In CS3, open Bridge and go to Edit > Preferences (Ctrl + K).
In the first window (General), under Behaviour, check the box for 'Double click Edits Camera Raw Settings in Bridge'.
Or right click on an image thumbnail (or image preview) and click on 'Open in Camera Raw'.
Both actions also apply to JPEG files in CS3/Bridge.

Procedure for CS4 is the same as with CS3.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:37 AM   #6

Hi, Many Thanks for answer on Bridge & ACR
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote