Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:46 AM   #1

this will be about as stupid as it gets. Had a panasonic fz30 - 8mp. I would shoot raw or at highest setting. If I wanted to resize it, say for a 10x8, the aspect ratio always just worked out, I would just leave the constrain proportions checked, always came out to like a 10x8.5.
Got a new camera, sony a300. Playing around with it. Take a pic at full resolution or raw. Now when I go to resize, it comes out to like 10x6.5.

does this mean I have to now crop it first or am I missing something here?
Only settings I see for aspect ratio are 16:9 and 3:2 on camera.

hope is right forum, did not know if editor or camera forum.

Told u it was stupid question.
Thanks for any info
(using photoshop and acdsee pro)
donberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:52 AM   #2

Actually, it's not such a stupid question. The short answer is that you'll have to crop.

The long answer is that your camera has two aspect ratios - 3:2 and 16:9. That means that a picture that's 3 inches wide will be two inches high (3:2) or 10 inches wide by 6.66 inches high (if I did the math right) for the 3:2 ratio. For 16:9, it would be 16 inches wide and 9 inches high, or 10 inches wide by 5.6 inches high. If your Panny gave you an image that was 10 inches wide by 8.5 inches high, the aspect ratio would have been 3:2.55.

Camera aspect ratios are dependent on the sensor characteristics (and in the case of your Sony, a set firmware option to allow two aspect ratios). It's not a big deal with Photoshop - you'll need to allow extra room in the frame so you can crop, though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote