Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:17 AM   #1

I am new to Adobe Elements 6.

A confusing thing happened when I treated some of my shots inElements and would like to know what to do or where to change the Image properties output, when saved in Elements.

As you can see in the screen-shot below, all pictures in this list are in 3648x2736-format. The picture I treated was saved in Elements in the same format (did not crop or change anything else but contrast) but when viewed in my AcDc-browser that particular picture has different properties - It showed 160x120x16M instead, cannot be in pixels, anyway. What type of measurements are these and is it possible to change these measurements in Elements?

Anybody out there with a good explanation or remedy?

:^(
Attached Images

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:36 AM   #2

The figures do appear to be in pixels. My guess is that you either somehow resized the image as you were working on it, or you are looking at a thumbnail image created by Elements during the save process.

There should be a dialog box which appears when you save an image, and there is a box for saving to catalog (something like that) which is by default, checked. I don't use the catalog, so always uncheck the box, so can't say what the effect is. I think that this is what generates the thumbnail, though. There is also a box to 'save as copy' which generates a new picture entirely, without altering the original. This is generally regarded as the best way to work, so one doesn't irrevocably alter something, only to decide later that is wasn't what was wanted.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:18 AM   #3

Thank you for your comments, VTphotog.

I havelooked it up again and still think something must be wrong, because this 160x120x16M "Thumbnail" is a big picture which I can spread across my 20" screen without it loosing any resolution. Its as big and sharp as the original file.

It's probably a fault in AcDc (must be) which doesn't recognize newly-saved files by Element 6

As you can see, the size of the file in question is 2,3Mb and therefor cannot be a Thumbnail. In this screen-shot below, there are 4 files (160x120x16M) that I have altered, mainly light, colours and contrast, and none of these are cropped in any way - and all of those 4 files have apparently changed the Image Property - in the column-list only - not in real life! Thats what is so puzzling!

I never save a file with its original name, if I alter it somehow, I always make sure to give it an alternative name, usually with some abbreviation of what I did to it.

)

Attached Images

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:05 AM   #4

The 3648x2736 format is the size of the photo in pixels.
The 160x120 format is the size of the photo in picas. As you can see the file size is exactly the same at 16Mb. Under IMAGE -- IMAGE SIZE can you change the format from pixels to Picas. Also in PREFERENCES you can change your ruler and/or column size to Picas which will in turn change the IMAGE SIZE to Picas.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote