Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:15 AM   #1

I ama beginner to both CS2 (less than3 weeks) and Elements 6 (less than2 weeks).

Now,someone gave me a "recipe" - http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8

-for CS2, to be ableto strengthening contrast and sharpening details using IMAGE / ADJUSTMENT / EXPOSURE and then (after using a small amount of Gamma+) decrease slightly on the "OFFSET" - (the treatment-recipe goes on from there...)

X-mas I have been given Elements 6for present by a proud member of my family and I would like to useElements for the same reason, but cannot find "Offset" in its functions-menu's.

The closest I get (and there is a great deal of guessing on my part involved here...) would be:

ENHANCE / ADJUST LIGHTING / and then (??) WHAT?

Would the function: SHADOWS / HIGHLIGHTS do the same?

)
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:53 AM   #2

I use Photoshop CS3 and dont have Elements 6. But I believe to use Offset you click on Filters --- Other --- Offset. Leave a note if this works for you.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:10 AM   #3

Thank you for your suggestions, Bynx!

No, its not the same. Does 2 different things. "Your" offset merely moves the complete collection of pixels sideways, keeping the same density and colour-tone - whereas "my" offsetof the IMAGE / ADJUSTMENTS / EXPOSURE-route, does something with the exposure-values (darkens mid-tones a bit?)

I am not sure. You see, the problem with receipts given to you by others is that you can actually do it - following the step-by-step instructions - but you don't really know what's going on andwhy you do it. I believe its the same for everyone, starting out in Photoshop as a novice.

This is the route I take....

...and this is the box I get to adjust this "offset"-value I am looking for in Elements.

:?

I may have written the wrong word, when I wrote receipt (which isa pice of paperyou get when you pay a bill) - what I ment is recepie, like in cooking-instructions. I'm not that good in english...
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:42 AM   #4

As I said already, I dont use Adobe Elements. I know there is a plug-in called Power Retouche for Elements which has Exposure -- Offset -- similar to CS3 Photoshop. Email me if you have a problem locating Power Retouche. Are you using Mac or PC?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:15 PM   #5

Sorry for keeping you waiting, Bynx. I'm usinga PC.

)
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:45 PM   #6

Check this out. http://www.powerretouche.com/Equalization_tutorial.html