Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1

I have about 50 corrupted JPG's from my son's third birthday party.

How they became corrupted, well I don't know. I did come across a piece of advice somewhere on the web that suggested to format the sd card to clear it instead of choosing an erase function from the camera or computer. Other than that, no sudden disconnections or power-offs. I did use the on-camera red eye editor a bit - maybe something went screwy with that?

What I do know:
using Canon A590IS with a Transcend 4GB SDHC Card, Class 6
Used camera only once before.

The entire history of the camera goes something like this: formatted card for first time from camera menu, took about 50 pictures, downloaded them onto my pc, erased all pictures from the camera menu (did not reformat), then took about 50 more.

The pictures basically (as you probably know) appear in sections - one portion of the picture is normal, another is misaligned, another is discolored, and so forth.

I've scoured the internet and various message boards (including this one). I've found many different photo recovery applications and nothing has worked thus far. Even the trial versions of the jpg-specific apps failed to fix the problem.

Anyway, I'm a computer programmer so I'm pretty comfortable with things. I'm willing to try anything!

I read some things about fixing jpeg headers...would that be an option for me?

Thank you, o Masters of the DigiCams. May the Power of Grayskull be with you.

- For example's sake, I attached one of the pictures that breaks my heart to lose.
Attached Images

apronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:40 PM   #2

All isnt lost if you spend a bit of time with Photoshop. This is quickly done and on the low res file.

Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:57 PM   #3

You wouldn't be willing to give me a quick schooling on the basics, would you?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:59 PM   #4

and what about possible causes? my biggest worry is having this happen again.

is it recommended to low-level format the card instead of just deleting the files from it?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:32 PM   #5

I just do a ERASE -- ERASE ALL FRAMES at the end of every shooting session and after the pics are in the computer. Ive never taken my SD card out of the camera since I first put it in. Ive taken about 18,000 pics so far with my Fuji S700 and not a single glitch have I had so far. As for your picture you can see there are 3 blocks. The main block and below that the wide strip block and the small block on the right. Select the long strip and copy. Then paste it and move it along so it lines up with the block above. Hide that layer and select the right small block. Copy that then show the hidden layer. Paste and move the small block to fit in the left hand side. Hide the base (large block) and merge visible (the two blocks on the bottom) now color correct the bottom strip to match the top block. You might have to use the eraser or cloning tool to fix the line where the two blocks fit. Its a bit time consuming but really quite easy and worth it if the pics mean something to you. Good luck. Any questions just ask away. As for the reason for the corruption it must be your camera. When I did a google search of "Jpeg corruption when Canon writes to card" there were others who seemed to have simiar problem as you. Check out what they had to say. Maybe there is an answer.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 2:48 PM   #6

Thanks! The only thing I'm having issues with is color matching.

I use paint.net and do not have photoshop.

Is there any manual way to color match between layers using paint.net? Seems as though there is a color match plugin available, but it requires two different files and cannot be used to match colors within the same photo.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 7:35 PM   #7

Sorry I have no experience with the Mickey Mouse programs. I use Photoshop. By taking a series of readings across the junction point of the sections of the photo it is easy to match the colors. Convert the photo to CMYK and just adjust the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black Curves.