Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:49 AM   #1

Default Photoshop ease of use??

I currently have psp7.4 and Have always found it to be very difficult to use.
I know Photoshop has always been more popular but is its ease of use any better? I don't recall what I paid for PSP but I know it wasn't anywhere near $580.00 so I would expect the difference to be night and day, Is this the case?
Second question
Do I really need the 580.00 version to manage and manipulate my photos in a Simi serious way or would their smaller version do? I don't recall what they call their light version.
I don't mind spending the cash but for 100s more I better be impressed.
I will be using my software with a Fuji s5000 if that makes any difference.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:13 PM   #2

Photoshop takes some practice but you can create some great results. You can look on ebay for some of the older version of PS. You can purchase Photoshop 6 for $100. Then you could upgrade to 7 for $169 more if you felt you needed the newer version. This would require only $269 investment vs $600.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:18 PM   #3

no not really. the advantage to PS is its user base and the fact it supports it own standards (accepted throughout the publishing industry) for printing for professional use. it has a vertical learning curve and some have gotten nose bleeds from it. it is amazing that it costs so much then because it so complex and powerful most humans spend considerably more to become professional PS artists. it is a well thoughtout well marketed vertical marketing tool.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:58 PM   #4

PSP 8 is much easier to use than 7.4. it seems to crash a bit more, but I just upgraded it to 8.10 so that may help.

I'm tempted to move to photoshop for no other reason than the user base. there are so many tutorials, websites, action packs, plugins etc out there for photoshop. the offerings are pretty sparce for paint shop pro.

but I'll probably stick with paint shop pro for a while. Purchasing and learning a new camera (also the s5000) is enough for me right now.
AidansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 1:06 PM   #5

I like the idea of an older cheaper version.
Could I say buy v6 then upgrade to v8 ? yes I'm cheap :lol:

I think I will download their trial version of elements and see how I like that if they offer a trail on cs I will try that too.
Are the trails limited in function or just time?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:12 AM   #6

Most trials are just limited in time.

If you are only looking for ease of use then Elements might suit you. They had to hobble it a bit to keep it from competing with the full Photoshop. Elements might be a little easier to use than PSP but it isnít superior or even equal IMO.

If you are looking for ďeasyĒ then Photoshop isnít the program. There are tutorials starting with basics going to just about anything you might want to do. But there are a lot of good tutorials for PSP as well.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 7:59 AM   #7

I have never heard the words "PhotoShop" and "easy" used in the same sentence without including a negation. In general, powerfull/full featured programs are difficult to learn simply because there is so much to figure out. No photo editing program with a lot of features will be easy. As an example, using layers is a very powerfull technique, but it takes a bit to figure out no matter what program you are using.

If you find Paint Shop Pro difficult, I'd recomend that you don't even think about PhotoShop. Elements might be easier than PSP, though I suspect you will find lots of different opinions about that.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:12 AM   #8

My first impression of elements is that it is very similar to PSP but seems to run slower on my very old computer, 550 p4 win98 198megs. not just when working on a pic but drop down menus and file ops are slow.
Seems to be very resource hungry.
I do have an 1800mhz celeron but its the wife and kids machine so I don't use it much, I know, what's up with that. :x

Sounds like PSP is capable of doing everything I need it to if I will invest the time to learn it, I will continue to try and explore PS elements if my computer will let me though.

What does CS offer that elements does not?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:47 PM   #9

I have PSP 7.4 and 8.10 as well as PSE 1 and 2.
I use PSP 8.1. Since I had to learn all photo editing from scratch, I had no investment in prior learning of PhotoShop, thus for me, I chose PSP because it was less costly.

I find that all of the 'full function' photo editing programs are in the 'difficult to use' category--photo editing is a tough subject to deal with in software--but if you can grok the concepts of layers; {raster|vector|adjustment|masking|and blends thereof}, and how the application of filters effect the image, you can readily learn to work with any of these image editing programs and usually overcome most of their user inteface shortcommings

It's sort of like the Mac -v- Windoz thing relative to the user interface; they both generally support the same functions, but the interface is slightly different--not better or worse--just different .
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:13 PM   #10

If I already owned PSP I would work on learning that. There are some excellent tutorials online for anything you might want to do. Start with some basic tutorials to get the nomenclature down so you can search for the right thing. One good place to start: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pspbasics/index.htm

Iíve been using Photoshop since version 3 and still regularly consult tutorials.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote