Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:26 PM   #1

I have a Nikon 8800. It can record files in NEF format. One of the programs that I have & that can read these NEF files is Irfanview. So far so good. I can adjust the Nikon's NEF pictures using Irfanview and then save them as - e.g. - TIFFs or JPEGS just fine.

But here's the mystery. Irfanview will save files in many different formats. One of them is listed as RAW format.

But whenever I use Irfan to save a file (any file) in RAW format it produces a file that even Irfanview itself doesn't read.

Instead it shows a box with the heading 'Set Raw Parameters'.

No matter how I fiddle with the choices in the 'Set Raw Parameters' box, it doesn't produce a file that shows up as a picture. Sometimes there's a hint of an image, but that gets me nowhere - neither Irfan nor any other program that I have can turn it into an actual picture.

Can anybody explain this? Has anybody else met with the same problem? Am I doing something wrong? What is the point of using Irfanview to save a file in what it calls RAW format?

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:24 PM   #2

Since starting this thread I noticed that Irfanview also refers (elsewhere) to "RAW/YUV" files.

A quick Internet search , refers to 'RAW/YUV' in the context of some sort of Video files.

So maybe the 'RAW' save function in Irfanview is connected with video files & not still photography - and I've been barking up the wrong tree? :sad:?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:09 AM   #3

Do you have the latest version (4.23) and plugins (4.22), from 29Dec08? The website www.irfanview.comhas changed quite a bit recently. If you search the 'Help' there are a few clues, and it would be worth trying an email to the author asking for clarification. His address is in the 'What's new' file.

It's a wonderful program, as I expect you know.I use it regularly for its excellent batch image processor, and to produce little website galleries with just a few mouseclicks ("Save selected thumbs as HTML file").

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:55 AM   #4

Alan - Thanks - yes I do have the very latest versions - Irfanview 4.23 and version 4.22 of the plugins, and I've looked at the Irfanview faqs and forum & all over the Internet.

I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has saved a picture in a RAW file (or a picture in any other format of file) by means of the RAW option in Irfanview - and what the result was.

I've tried it on my main computer that runs Wndows ME and also on another one that runs Windows XP. The same happens with both computers
Old Mar 23, 2009, 3:44 PM   #5

Since starting this thread, I've discovered that Photoshop Elements 2 also has a drop-down menu that includes the option to save a picture in RAW format.

So for curiosity I tried it. The result was the same as with Irfanview - nothing that I've so far tried will open it - not even Photoshop itself.

Has anybody got an explanation?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:19 PM   #6

[sub]Problem solved![/sub]

With Irfanview, when the drop-down box appears, you have to fill in the dimensions of the picture (e.g. 3264 x 2448.)

With Photoshop Elements 2 you have to do the same - plus you have to specify the number of colours used - eg. for something recorded using RGB you insert number 3.