Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:10 PM   #1

I just bought adobe photoshop 7 only to find out that there is a free program ( I think it's called Gizmo) Did I get snukkered or was it a good choice?
Exiled Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:34 PM   #2

You may be talking about the GIMP, which is a free, open source photo editing program. I haven't used it, myself, but I have heard it is capable of most anything photoshop can do. The advantage I would see in photoshop, is that it is a commercial program with a lot of support and help available on just about any aspect of it you will encounter. The GIMP's support depends on user forums, as I understand it, and may be less dependable.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 2:10 AM   #3

I agree with brian.

I used GIMP a few times back when it was a fresh-faced newcomer and it was pretty cumbersome. I imagine they've tweaked the interface quite a bit since then and it might be a lot more intuitive by now.

But, as brian said, the shear volume (and quality) of information available about Adobe products is huge! If you like books, there are books. If you like videos, there are videos. If you like free online tutorials, you've got 'em.

Using GIMP effectively might well almost require the user to be Photoshop (or similar) literate first. Then, at least you have some background that tells you what a certain GIMP feature is supposed to do -- it just does it a bit differently than PS would.

If someone would compile all of the useful web articles and insightful user-group posts about GIMP into a single big book, it might give GIMP a wider user base -- and it deserves it! But one or two books would be lost on the bookstore shelf next to the Adobe titles.

No, with PS, the problem will be information overload. :?

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:05 AM   #4

You can't go wrong with Photoshop. Once you learn how to use it you will love it. There are many books and video's on how to use photoshop. Go to Amazon.com and you will find a lot of informational items.

Ronnie948
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:57 PM   #5

Given that PS7 is quite outdated now (currently CS4), I hope you got a decent price.

On the other hand, altough I use photoshopCS3 hours a day everyday at work, I still prefer the usefulness of PS7 for work at home or when I need to do a quick edit.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:29 PM   #6

Maybe he meant Photoshop Elements 7, which is the current version. If so, he made a very good choice. For photo editing, there's very little that CS4 offers that Elements 7 doesn't. And, you can download and use the latest version of Adobe Camera RAW with Elements 7.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Administrator

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
If someone would compile all of the useful web articles and insightful user-group posts about GIMP into a single big book, it might give GIMP a wider user base -- and it deserves it! But one or two books would be lost on the bookstore shelf next to the Adobe titles.
See this page for links to user guides, tutorials, a variety of books, FAQs and more. ;-)

http://www.gimp.org/docs/

You'll also find a WIKI here:

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/

The GIMP still lacks features that some photographers may want. But, it's been moving in the right direction with relatively ambitious design goals for upcoming releases, including integration of the GEGL library to allow for higher bit depth editing. You can see some of the newer features in the 2.6 release notes here:

http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.6.html

I've got the latest GIMP 2.6.6 release installed under Linux now for testing purposes (I rarely use Windows, even though I've got it installed on my PCs along with Linux). Frankly, I prefer simpler tools for most of what I do with images.

So, I tend to use digiKam more often than other solutions. You can see some of it's features on this page:

http://www.digikam.org/drupal/about/features9x

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote