Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:42 PM   #1
sdh

I currently have PSE4 and was planning to upgrade to 7, but then I hear about LR. What does LR have that PSE lacks, that makes it 2-3x the price?

And do you have to buy full PS to get HDR capability (in an Adobe product)?
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2009, 1:27 PM   #2

I have been wanting toask the same question to the Forum. I am currently using PSE5 and have considered possibly switching to PSE7 or LR2. I am relatively new to post processing, but one of the advantages I see with the newer programs is the inclusion of Bridge which will allow Raw format pictures to be viewed in the organizer. Can LR2 do all the things that PSE does and more, ordo you find that there are times when you need to use Elements to complete your work flow?
TimothyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
sdh

wow, crickets... No one knows or wants to answer??
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:38 AM   #4

I'll quote from an article on Lightroom to give you an idea why nobody is saying whether Lightroom is better than Elements 7.

"What Lightroon can't do
In an attempt to clear the fog let's start by stating what Lightroom cannot do, especially for those photographers who have mistakenly taken to the notion that Photoshop Lightroom could possibly replace Photoshop CS3 or Photoshop Elements.

Lightroom is NOT an alternative to Photoshop CS3 or Photoshop Elements. It has no ability to edit multi layered images, use adjustment layer masks to enable localized editing, apply filters or convert images to CMYK for press, so its definitely one short of a six-pack in this department. Lightroom can optimize the appearance of an image but it does this globally. You want the whole image darker – fine, you want the bit in the bottom left-hand corner to be darker - forget it. You can target individual colors or tones within the entire image for special attention in Lightroom but you have no selection tools to allow you to target your adjustments to a localized area within the image." http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tuto...lightroom.html

Lightroom is primarily a photo database with some basic editing tools.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:13 AM   #5
sdh

slipe - that article is verrrrrrrry informative. THANK YOU!!!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:43 AM   #6

Can someone please confirm that PSE 7 for Windows does incorporate Bridge program? I would be nice to view RAW file thumbnails in Elements organizer.

Thanks

Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:59 PM   #7

Default Only PSE7 for Mac includes Bridge

From what I have been able to gather only the Mac version of PSE7 includes Bridge.