Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:15 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Hi.

Using CS3, have edited some JPEGs, saved on SDHC card (in the correct DCIM directory), loaded card in camera. The edited JPEGs appear as solid black when selected.

Would appreciate some advice/guidance on how to make them viewable on the camera's LCD. It's a Panasonic DMC-TZ15.

Thank You.
bigbigbarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
VTphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Extreme Northeastern Vermont, USA
Posts: 4,212
Default

I have seen this question come up before, but not specific to Panasonic. You may need to use an Exif editor to restore the exif data to what it was before you edited the photos. Photoshop changes, among other things, the date/time and software tags. I tink there may be some also that it deletes.

What you may find that works, is to use a program like Exifer to backup the exif before you edit, and restore it afterwards.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:24 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4
Default

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
*I have seen this question come up before, but not specific to Panasonic.* You may need to use an Exif editor to restore the exif data to what it was before you edited the photos.* Photoshop changes, among other things, the date/time and software tags. I tink there may be some also that it deletes.

*What you may find that works, is to use a program like Exifer to backup the exif before you edit, and restore it afterwards.

brian
hi brian,

thanks. your comment on the tags makes sense.

anyway, surfed around and have found a useful/easy solution - using the tvwriter 2.30 software from david taylor - http://www.satsignal.eu/software/imaging.html#TVwriter. downloaded the trial software to run on windows (parallels) using macbook. registration (and payment) is required for full functionality.

tvwriter works. but images have ad banners. thumbnails still run black on thumbnail review mode on the panasonic. however, selecting individual photos does show the edited photoshop jpeg images.

Will explore your exifier solution before deciding on whether to purchase tvwriter which simplifies everything and has a more user-friendly GUI.

again, thanks for your kind response. cheers.
bigbigbarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 5:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

With the TZ5/15 the opposite approach is the easiest IMO. After you edit in Photoshop save as a TIF. Open it in Irfanview and save as a JPG. Uncheck ALL boxes in the save dialog – you don't want EXIF or anything else. Put the photo in the PANA folder and it will display fine. Keep the old file number system with a P followed by seven numbers.

I regularly format my card so it is nice to have photos I want to keep in the camera memory, which is what the clipboard uses. You can zoom in quite a bit, just not as much as a full sized image from the card. If you want to put them in the clipboard:

Take a shot in clipboard mode. I'm not sure that is necessary to establish the folder, but that is how I did it and I don't want to erase all of my photos from the clipboard to find out.

Crop the images to 1200 X 1600 and give them a MEMOxxxx.jpg filename with the xxxx being numbers. Set the camera to clipboard and plug it in. The Private1 folder will show with the snapshot you took – probably MEMO0001.jpg. Put the photos you want to view in the same folder after running them through Irfanview.

Any image that that has the 1600 pixel in height I rotate 90 degrees so it shows full screen.


slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:08 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4
Default

slipe,

nice out-of-the-box approach. will definitely give it a shot later today. not having to deal with exif data is definitely more convenient.

like you, i like to keep some images on the camera (card) for easy reference because it is not always convenient to lug around a notebook when one is on the road. also use an iPhone as a photo viewer but the tz15 allows me to show short video clips in its native format without having to convert and encode.

for on-camera storage, 1600 x 1200 resolution is plenty (since i back up all images on my notebook anyway) and it saves space.

cheers and thank you.
bigbigbarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:37 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

The TZ5 is the fussiest camera I've owned for putting images on the card. All of my others have just required a DOS filename.

You are probably familiar with the Irfanview batch processing. I put everything I want to put on the clipboard in a folder and then have Irfanview batch process to JPG. Irfanview will also convert them to 1200 X 1600 in the same batch process as long as you have them in a 3:4 format.


slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4
Default

slipe wrote:
Quote:
With the TZ5/15 the opposite approach is the easiest IMO.* After you edit in Photoshop save as a TIF.* Open it in Irfanview and save as a JPG.* Uncheck ALL boxes in the save dialog – you don't want EXIF or anything else.* Put the photo in the PANA folder and it will display fine.* Keep the old file number system with a P followed by seven numbers.
this works like using tvwriter (see above). but no ads (good). but also no thumbnails shown on the camera directory. and no zooming in.

Quote:
Take a shot in clipboard mode.* I'm not sure that is necessary to establish the folder, but that is how I did it and I don't want to erase all of my photos from the clipboard to find out.

Crop the images to 1200 X 1600 and give them a MEMOxxxx.jpg filename with the xxxx being numbers.* Set the camera to clipboard and plug it in.* The Private1 folder will show with the snapshot you took – probably MEMO0001.jpg.* Put the photos you want to view in the same folder after running them through Irfanview.
this works good too. but with the same limitations - no thumbnails and no zooming.

looks like i will have to experiment with exif editors to get the same functionalities as with the original images.
bigbigbarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

Mine zoom fine in both instances. I have no idea why it wouldn't zoom for you unless they aren't exactly 1200 X 1600. Or maybe they don't zoom if you don't reorient the vertical shots.

I have an appointment, but I'll experiment a little this evening. As I said, the TZ5 is fussier than other cameras I've owned. But I have imported photos from various cameras using the same approach and they all work fine as long as Irfanview strips everything. And no progressive JPG from Photoshop.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 4:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

I can zoom imported photos on either the card with full sized images or on the permanent clipboard memory in 1200 X 1600. I just brought a Sony image onto the card with the Sony file name but cropped in Photoshop and cleansed in Irfanview. It views and zooms fine. Maybe there is a difference between the TZ15 and TZ5, but that doesn't seem likely.

I don't use the thumbs. But thumbs are usually part of the EXIF and thumbs don't display on mine either after I strip them to put on the camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:16 AM.