Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 10, 2009, 12:31 PM   #1
conor

Default Signatures on photographs

I've noticed that a lot of the forum members sign the lower corner of their photos with either their name, company name, copyright information, etc.

Though spending a bit of time to make a layer, picking a color that doesnt intrude on the image, and adding it to the photo is not terribly difficult, it's quite tedious to do to a large number of pictures.

Is there a quick and easy way to do this?
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2009, 1:55 PM   #2

Its called Watermarking and there is alot of software out there both free and not that will do that for you.You can also do it w/ Photoshop but I use NX2 and a separate plug-in for my Batch processing w/Watermarks...
Google "Photo Watermarking" for research and Options.There's a Bunch of Both in there....
Old May 10, 2009, 2:13 PM   #3

When you have finished doing any processing to your photo you just type in the info you want in the color of your choice and thats it. I cant imagine there is an easier way to put your signature on each pic without actually embeding a watermark in your photos.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 6:57 PM   #4

Here are a couple tutorials for making a Photoshop action of a watermark and batch processing or just using the action for individual photos.
http://photoshop911.typepad.com/help...arking_ph.html
http://www.dphotojournal.com/waterma...ith-photoshop/
Once you make the action you can just hit the action anytime you want it on a photo. You might want to make a few in different sizes, but that isn’t necessary if you normally post approximately the same sized image.

The watermark doesn't have to be embossed if you prefer simple lettering - you can still use actions.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 9:07 AM   #5
conor

Thanks a a ton everyone.

I played around with text and finally got something generic that looks right on nearly every photo, saved it in an image by itself. Whenever I need it, I can just duplicate the layer to the current photo. That 'Action' idea sounds good too though, I might give that a try tonight.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:32 AM   #6

The action is a lot easier than digging up your signature file. You could assign say the F5 key and all you have to do is press it to get the signature on the photo. Even if you don’t assign the key it is always instantly available on the Actions palette.

I wouldn’t flatten the image when I made the action. That way you can move it around before flattening. This assumes you wouldn’t batch process the action to multiple images. Actions makes that easy too, but you would want the image flattened as part of the action if you did that.

I’m guessing you made your signature image file as a PNG so you can have a transparent background. You could also use GIF, but PNG works better.

If you haven’t used actions it is a very handy thing to learn, especially if you want to batch process anything. I always shoot with minimum sharpening, contrast and saturation. You get better dynamic range, less artifacts and a slightly sharper image. But the images are flat looking. I have an action that brings them up to speed that I batch to the entire folder and save in a subfolder. Anything I want to process uses the originals, but for viewing I have decent looking photos in the subfolder. I also include PTLens in the action to take out any lens distortions. Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro have good actions palettes. Some others like Elements don’t have that capability.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 11:35 AM   #7
conor

I left it as a PSD file, the text is still text, so i can quickly modify the font size if I'm working on a different sized image. Open up the signature file, duplicate layer, choose my target image, then flatten the target. It's a few steps, but its faster than having to re-do the text and effects every time.

I will however play with the Actions... (I haven't yet)
Old May 11, 2009, 3:03 PM   #8

I think Conor, that the easiest way for you to do it, is the one you learn. The way you are doing it now is probably how I would do it. Make your signature large enough for the largest picture file then you can reduce it to fit any other size. Cant be much simpler than that. Actions is a good way too, but there is a learning curve for that. Actions are nice but you have to (or at least should) understand whats going on when its working. I look forward to seeing something with your 'signature' on it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 4:57 AM   #9

I prefer in adobe bridge i choose the pictures then i go to file then file info, and scroll down and choose copyright status then copyrighted, then click in the empty box (copyright notice) hold down alt then type in numeric pad only 0169 then let go of alt and then write your name and so on and thats it,, then it is copyrighted
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 5:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
hold down alt then type in numeric pad only 0169 then let go of alt and then write your name and so on and thats it,, then it is copyrighted
Just a tip for everybody, opt + g give you a .
(press g while holding down the option key which is between the command and control keys on your Mac keyboard.)