Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:58 PM   #1

Default Photoshop CS4 RAM usage at 100% of available

I am getting into Photoshop CS4 and working on the settings. My system has 4GB RAM installed, out of which my 32-bit Windows XP with SP3 can see 3.25GB. In Preferences > Performance, the RAM available to CS4 is shown as 1.7GB, which is consistent with what I read in Adobe FAQ. I would like to let Photoshop use 100% of the 1.7GB it sees, on the assumption that the rest of the 3.25GB will handle the operating system and any other applications that I may be running. Please advise.
July is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:48 AM   #2
Administrator

This may help:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404439.html

You'll see a section on allocating memory (and it discusses that trying to set it to 100% is probably going to result in problems, with the default of 70% being optimum for most users).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 9:26 AM   #3

Since Photoshop is limited to 1.7Gb of RAM you might try 90%, then decrease in 5% increments if you have problems as Jim’s link suggests. With 2.3Gb available for everything else you shouldn’t have problems as long as Photoshop doesn’t give memory warnings. And of course the full 4Gb is available when you aren’t running Photoshop.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 1:30 PM   #4

Thank you for the good advice, JimC and Slipe. I'll try at 90% and increase a bit by bit. If I get memory warnings or other related problems I will report back.
July is offline   Reply With Quote