Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 7, 2003, 2:11 PM   #1

Default PhotoShop vs. Nikon Capture

Ok -
It seems that in order for me to get Raw images (Nikon D100) into Adobe, that I need to get the raw plug-in.
My other alternative is to buy Nikon Capture.

What is the difference between Capture and Photoshop (I have v6)?
Which is better? Which is more flexible?

Would I ever own both? [Why} --- Or are they similar/competitive?

Thanks!
Eric
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2003, 11:13 AM   #2

Hi Eric

I know we talked about this before, but it seems that I haven't explained things well enough. Sorry.

This is what things are all about.

You need a RAW converter/program for making Jpgs or Tiffs. You may choose between Nikon Capture OR/AND the Photoshop RAW plug-in.
(I'd prefer NC at any time, but it's a good idea to get other opinions before deciding).

You also need Photoshop, which you already have. You must not compare Nikon Capture with Photoshop as stand-alone programs. Photoshop has a lot more features and do many things that Capture can't do. However Capture is much better for editing RAW files. Capture is not a program for i.e copy and paste jobs and "normal" editing. Photoshop is much more flexible.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:52 PM   #3

Thank you Klaus -
So just to quickly recap ---
Nikon Capture is best for editing/fine detail of Raw Images - Photoshop is best for general operations (copying, etc).

--->So given the choice of buying Capture vs. Adobe Raw -- it sounds as though for editing Nikon Raw images that NC is the best choice.......

Is the newest version of Capture out yet? [if not - when?]
Isn't that V4.0?

Many thanks!!
Eric
Old Nov 8, 2003, 2:38 PM   #4

Yes, correctly understood.

Last rumours I've heard was late this month together with the D2H, Nikons new fastshooter. And right v.4. I would wait for this edition if Iwere you...

Maybe others have some knowledge on Nikon Capture 4 ???
Old Nov 8, 2003, 3:21 PM   #5

Thanks Klaus - you have been very understanding!

Eric
Old Nov 8, 2003, 10:29 PM   #6

i must throw in here. as a free piece of software the nikon raw converter is just adequate to do the job just as the one that came with my 1Ds (which totally s@@ks and the nikon one has a prettier interface). ARC 1.0 add on to PS7 worked better for $99 by a long shot ARC 2.0 which is included with PS(8)CS completely out performs the the all just mentioned. if you really want to get to the pinnacle of RAW conversion and control there is C1 it does most everything if but for its ungodly price of $499 or $99 for thr LE version. which puts an idea out if your using ps 6 or 7 for $169us or less go to PS8CS and get the better RAW converter built in.

i was shooting with a sample D2H last week. it felt more like an automatic weapon then a camera. the 4MP imager is a mixed blessing. faster imager and smaller images make a 2G card last a long time but the ability to crop and print w/o some software massaging is reduced. for sports mags and news shots its outstanding. gotta admit i still like the feel of a nikon over a canon but i like the full frame crop ability of the canon over the smaller nikon imager. rumor of a larger MP imager (no increase in the physical size though) aka D2X style was a possibility per some unamed nikon reps. estimate 90% of those shooters will use jpg for compatability. nikon seems to be standing on their current imager size with no intention of going up for the time being.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 1:27 AM   #7

Hello Steven

Quote:
ARC 2.0 which is included with PS(8)CS completely out performs the the all just mentioned.
Could you please explain why ? Sounds very interessting. But it seems a bit expensive upgrading everytime Photoshop burst out with another upgrade. I'd radher put the money aside for the next D200

Regarding the D2H. As far as I understand this camera is made just to please (and get a crap on) all the newspaper photojournalists. And in this matter I must say Nikon seems to have done it well. I know a few of these and all of them are screaming for speed - not megapixels or RAW or much cropping. You know streetjournalist shoots wideangle and sportsjournalist tele. These guys Just pure speed. Nikon just listened to their needs - not yours or mine need for more MP and full size sensors.
(to be honest I was a bit dissapointed by Nikon not to come up with something better - seems like Canon is in lead by now and taking a good share of the market!).
Old Nov 9, 2003, 3:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
if you really want to get to the pinnacle of RAW conversion and control there is C1 it does most everything if but for its ungodly price of $499 or $99 for thr LE version. which puts an idea out if your using ps 6 or 7 for $169us or less go to PS8CS and get the better RAW converter built in.
Interesting - as I am using Photoshop elements (and cannot upgrade), I would have to buy the full blown version of PS8CS or C1 (stupid ? - what is C1?) -- seing that C1 is 499 and PS8CS is 650+/-
----------------> You recommend that I buy C1 or PS8CS ?

Wish there was some way around this - I would rather spend the money on another lens!!

Thank you
Eric
Old Nov 9, 2003, 4:03 AM   #9

There's more than what is described here. Take a look at this link.

http://www.bythom.com/raw.htm
Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:36 AM   #10

there is quite a difference between the RAW converter in PS8 and the original plug in ARC 1.0 available in PS7. so purchasing PS8 w/ARC2 (lots of differences there from v1)would put you well ahead of the game in the creativity department (actually a little too much).

http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_12/essay.html

original ARC1

http://luminous-landscape.com/review...mera-raw.shtml

C1 or Capture 1 Dslr Pro from Phase One

http://www.c1dslr.com/

http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_02/essay.html

as of now i'm sticking with PS8 w/the included ARC2. best bang for the $

in referencce the your final statement:

you knew the job was tough when you took it :shock:
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote