Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:44 PM   #1

Default Total Frustration With Adobe (CS4 Install)

Just a rant about current practices at Adobe......

Adobe's new flagship Photoshop CS4 Extended is hyped as the "Cat's Meow" of photo editing and graphics software. It has some of the most advanced features available including 3D, hardware rendering, advanced stacking, HDR, etc., etc., etc. It actually may be the most fantastic editing software anywhere! But, you can't prove it by me.... Not yet, and maybe not ever....

I can't install it! I have attempted to put it on two of my systems. One a Dell, the other a Gateway. Each has Win XP Home edition. After over six hours of install, uninstall, upgrade video drivers, download 814 megabyte files "twice," install Windows Service Pack 3, etc., etc., I finally called Adobe Support only to be totally disappointed with the non-support.

First, I am subjected to a lengthy wait listening to loud, bad, music loops. Next I'm connected to a "support" person, apparently in India or Pakistan with an accent making it very difficult to understand his "English." He wasn't at all interested in learning about "where" the installation had failed, but just wanted to shovel me off to download a "Windows Cleaner" and "CS4 Cleanup Script." He informed me that I may have to uninstall "ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS" before installing the CS4 Extended Trial.

Now the above statement is just plain stupid, especially from an Adobe representative! Try Adobe Flash, Photoshop versions 5, 7 and CS each complete with dozens of plug-ins, hundreds of actions, specialized settings, etc. How about Adobe Frame Maker with hundreds of projects, Adobe Quick Time, Adobe Encore, Adobe Premier, etc., etc., all with myriad data, plugins, etc. We're talking weeks of reinstall or a complete reinstall of the disk which would, of course, wipe out CS4 EXtended (if it were ever installed - LOL).

So after once again uninstalling the remnants of CS4, installing and running the Win cleanup and CS4 cleanup and reinstall of CS4 Extended - guess what? Yep, failed at exactly the same point - the installation of "Adobe Media Player."

I've wasted two days on simply trying to evaluate CS4 Extended. I've installed a service pack I didn't want or need. I've completely lost Flash thanks to the CS4 Cleanup script and still have no CS4 trial installation. I'm writing this while again listening to bad, loud music loops (for the past 45 minutes).

Listen up Adobe - I've spend many, many thousands of dollars with your company and deserve better treatment. Will I purchase CS4 Extended? It's not likely and becoming less likely with every bar of bad, loud, music loop. Do you actually want to sell your products? Then get some knowledgeable technical support people who can help sort out issues like this and make them available. Don't have some 1st level "support" dweeb who speaks the native language of the country where the support is to be given with an accent so strong that it's impossible for a native speaker to understand. Don't have someone who insults the intelligence of the potential customer with silly statements. In addition to the statement about possibly removing "all Adobe" software before the install, he make the mistake of telling me that this was only "Trial Software" an therefore not necessarily a "stable" and trouble free version. I had to remind him that Adobe states that you simply pay for then receive the unlock code and this "unstable" trial version becomes the "real" and "very expensive" CS4 release version! Give me a break already!!

End rant..... Beware. If you order CS4 maybe you should download the trial version first and be certain it will install and run on your system. I hope you have better luck than I've had.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2009, 1:06 PM   #2
Administrator

Yep. I saw your thread on that "other forum" asking about this issue, with members recommending that you install SP3, shut down any applications running via Windows Task Manager, etc. As much as Adobe charges for this type of software, It should be easier, huh?. ;-)

Have you considered other alterntives?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:36 PM   #3

Ive been using Adobe products since they first opened their doors. Ive never had any problems trying to install any of their products. Now Im using a Mac so there might be a difference there but it cant be that much of a difference. Ive never had to resort to asking advice on an install problem but I can understand the frustration you are getting because all the tech support for Bell Canada are located in India and Phillipines. Really sorry to hear about your difficulties because Photoshop is the truly best way to go. It is so much fun to use and vast in its capabilities. Good luck. Keep us informed if and when everything goes right.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:47 AM   #4
Administrator

Media Player Codecs, huh? ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:57 AM   #5

Default Followup on my issues with CS4 Extended install....

The good news is that the install has finally been completed, no thanks to Adobe's technical support. The second call to tech support resulted in a 2.5 hour hold listening to the same loud, bad sound loop. After 2.5 hours I hung up.

I posted the same complaint on the Adobe forum and had very quick and accurate help from two very knowledgeable forum participants, one an Adobe employee. It seems that the Adobe Media Player was the point at which the install was failing for each of my systems. The suggestion was that I install manually (one of the choices) which allows the user to pick and choose among the various components being installed. As it turn out, the Adobe Media Player is not an integral part of CS4 and is not really necessary. It's a media player Adobe "acquired" and something in it was causing the crash. After omitting the media player from the installation, the rest went smoothly and CS4 Extended trial installed without further issues.

After installing, the good news was that the software does exactly what I needed. My sole reason for testing CS4 Extended was for the 3D portion. I write tutorials and create templates for a presentation slideshow software and one of my templates requires png objects with transparent backgrounds. In order to animate 3D objects, and have significant control over their position, speed, size, etc., I can't use video output, but rather animate still objects to simulate video. By having individual frames from a video sequence, I can get much more control over the appearance and animation than with a video. I had been hoping to be able to manipulate 3D objects in CS4, create an AVI with transparency then decompile the video to get individual PNG frames to work with. The results from CS4 Extended were "much, much better" than I anticipated!

Not only is it possible to do this, it's possible to output the individual frames from the Photoshop animation directly as individual PNG files complete with transparency "and" with complete control over the file names. This saves me some major time.

I did discover that the Photoshop help, especially for CS4 Extended's 3D portion is horrible. They really need help with technical writing for this new and quite powerful feature. If one does not already thoroughly understand 3D terms and procedures, don't expect to learn anything of significance from Adobe's help. It's as if this portion was rushed to market to be included in CS4 and the documentation was an afterthought. Hopefully, with time, they will improve on the documentation for this.

On the up side, the program works very well and though a long way from a full blown 3D software, still offers the Photoshop user a powerful tool for including 3D features in their tool box. I find the user interface much easier than Maya or some other powerful 3D tools, so if you have a need for adding, creating or manipulating 3D objects, the CS4 Extended trial might be worth your time to investigate whether this upgrade might be right for you.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:30 AM   #6

Hi Jim,

In all probability it might be a codec issue. It's hard to say, and curious that Adobe would include a media player with CS4 Extended as a part of the default installation unless there were some really good reasons for it. I was assured by an Adobe employee that the media player was not in any way integrated into CS4 so omitting it during the installation was not detrimental in any way to the use of CS4 Extended.

I have most every codec of any significance available on one of my systems, so I can't imaging what they might be using, but their "cleaning" software strips the Flash player (their own - LOL) so that might be a clue. The interesting thing is that the Media Player caused a violent "stop" in Windows on both computers. On one I got an instant reboot (the Gateway) while on the other a total lockup requiring me to power down then a notice that Windows had recovered from a "serious" problem on start-up.

This type thing simply shouldn't happen. I'm certain my case won't be isolated and that other will encounter similar situations. What really disappoints me is the total lack of understanding on the part of Adobe's first tier support person. To even hint that a "trial version" might have issues not found in the "real product" (when the trial version "is" the real product after entering an unlock code) and suggest that having not yet paid for the product should somehow be a factor in the level of support for such an expensive product shows a total lack of training and understanding by the support person. Also suggesting that it might be necessary to "remove all other Adobe products" before installing the CS4 Extended trial reveals extreme ignorance of what it takes to reinstall multiple Adobe products and get all plugins, actions, etc., working again. That's what really pulled my chain! It's as if these first tier support people have never really seen or used an Adobe product and are simply reading from a script. There just isn't any excuse for that level of ignorance on the part of a representative of the company. If it were "just" Adobe, it would be bad enough, but the same thing happened to me when I called for technical support on a Hewlett-Packard digicam.

I had purchased two small, identical HP digicams to use for stereoscopic photography. What I needed to know was whether it was "possible" to synchronize the shutters via the docking station. I reached tech support apparently in India and the support technician began reading from the manual. I explained politely that I had thoroughly read the manual and that my reason for calling was that the information I needed was not contained in the manual. I asked to speak with a second tier support rep and was refused. It so happens that my wife was a senior product manager with HP and her office was located in the same building with the camera division. She spoke directly with the division VP who, by the way, is a personal friend. The engineers were contacted and the issue was resolved (it couldn't be done) quickly. Obviously, everyone doesn't have the same access to information which I was fortunate enough to get, but it does point out the problems in our industry today with playing the statistical game with support. Probably most simple questions are answered by first tier support offshore by people who have never really even "seen" the product they are supporting. That was the case for the cameras. I asked. The support person admitted he had never held the camera in his hand, only the manual - LOL.

It's sad that things have progressed this way. Only a few years ago when I was developing my own commercial software, I needed specific HP codes to output print to an HP Laser Printer. One call to tech support got me to a knowledgeable support person in the US who immediately sent the vital information to me. I'm afraid those days are gone......

Best regards,

Lin
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:08 AM   #7

I installed the CS4 Extended under Vista 64 and had no problems, Extended did not have the 3D support I needed so I got the regular one, big deference from my old Photoshop 5.5.
whitepass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:53 PM   #8

I installed cs4 last week and it failed at that same point, I read somewhere to temporarily disabled symantec av/is and it installed on the second try no prob. (on vista 64)
rmuir is offline   Reply With Quote