Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:31 PM   #1

Default problem with elements 7.0 and RAW files

I cant seem to figure out how to get my brand new version of Elements 7.0 to open my camera's RAW files (Canon EOS 500D, file extension .CR2).

What am I doing wrong?

I tried to download and install the Adobe Camera Raw update 5.3 but I just get an error...

I've got a fully registered version of Elements 7.0 that I downloaded and paid for via the Adobe website.

Help?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael_egan
MichaelT1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:50 PM   #2

It has been a while since I did this for my Elements (ran out of updates for my version), but, IIRC, you can't have two versions concurrently, so have to move your older ACR to a different folder. Don't recall if this must be done before the new is installed or not. I believe there are instructions at the Adobe site for it. It isn't just a matter of installing the new.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:04 AM   #3
Administrator

You need to install Camera Raw Version 5.4, not 5.3, to get support for your camera's raw files. You'll see installation instructions on this download page (basically, you unzip the download using something like WinZip and copy the extracted Camera Raw.8bi plugin to the correct folder).

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4524

Here's the folder you'll need to copy the new Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to:

Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4

Got it! Thank you!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael_egan
MichaelT1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:52 AM   #5

I just took my first photos in RAW.
There's a question at the end of this, so please keep reading.

Here's what I did.
I shot the photos in RAW
Loaded the RAW files to my computer
Opened the RAW file with Canon's Digital Photo Professional software (it came with the camera).
In DPP I saved the RAW files as jpeg files. (Click on File, then look for "convert and save" - Sounds rather religious, but I digress)

Then, as a jpeg file was able to use photoshop to make my changes.

The photo in RAW was 25 mb file. When it was saved to jpeg, it was about 1/2 that size. (BTW, I also shot the same photo in jpeg, that original file was about 6 mb, so RAW converted to jpeg is still twice the size of straight jpeg).

Here's my question - Did I do something wrong when I convered the RAW file to jpeg causing me to lost half the data?

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:55 AM   #6
Administrator

JPEG files are only 8 bits per channel. JPEG files are also compressed (and you can control the amount of compression via a jpeg quality setting).
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:23 AM   #7

Thanks Jim for the help, although I am still a bit lost.

when you say that I can control the amount of compuression via a jpeg quality setting. I know I can do that with the menu on my camera. On my camera, images are currently recorded in both RAW and JPEG (largest setting possible).

Are you saying that there is a setting in Canon Digital Photo Professional that can control the amount of compression?

I looked under Tools-Preferences and found "Viewing and Saving RAW images" was set at "HIGH QUALITY". I have default of output resolution at 60,000 (as high as it gets).

Then I saved the file again, and the jpeg is still 12.6 mb. Still half the size of the RAW file.

Is there a setting I'm overlooking?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:25 AM   #8
Administrator

If you already have the highest quality setting, then you're looking at the largest available file size using JPEG. Again, JPEG is only 8 bits per channel (far less in the way of available graduations for each pixel).

IOW, if you want to retain more, you'd need to use 48 bit (16 bit/channel) TIFF as the output type when converting from raw. Then, edit the TIFF file as desired. But, for web posting, etc., you'd want convert to 8/bit per channel JPEG after you complete your edits (which is going to give you smaller file sizes compared to TIFF, since you are only representing 8 bits/channel in a JPEG file, with less in the way of graduations per pixel available).

But, for most purposes, a final format of JPEG is going to be "good enough" as far as most viewers can discern looking at your images on a monitor screen. For editing, you can avoid posterization problems by sticking with a 16 bit/channel format, then converting to JPEG as a last step for web posting (although you may want to keep the TIFF for higher quality prints with more color graduations, I doubt you'd discern much difference in most prints using JPEG either, due to limitations of the printing process, as most printers are only going to support 8 bits/channel anyway).

Here's an article discussing why it can be better to stick with 16 bits/channel for edits to help avoid posterization:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...terization.htm
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:12 PM   #9

I guess I am still lost.
I have Photoshop Elements 7

I want to edit raw files, but I can't get PSE to do anything with RAW files other than convert them to jpeg or tiff.

What am i missing?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:07 AM   #10
Administrator

You're not supposed to be able to save changes to raw files. ;-)

Some editors can save changes in a separate file, so that those changes are applied at the time you convert from raw to a usable format like jpeg or tiff. But, the raw file itself is not modified.