Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:03 AM   #1

Default File size and 8x10 development

Hi

I have a question about the size of my jpg. Here's what I did.

I took a picture with my Canon XSi on the 12.2 MP setting.

I slightly modified the photo using "scratch remover" in Corel Paint Shop pro. Before paint shop pro the file size (seen by clicking properties on the icon) was 2.14 MB. After the scratch removing (no resizing or compressing) the file size is now 773 kb.

I noticed this while i was uploading to snapfish for development.

Why would the file size drop after the first processing step?

Does file size have any effect on the size of picture that I want developed? I know the 12.2MP will have an effect, but what about the MB/KB issue above?

Thanks!

John
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandscooter View Post
I slightly modified the photo using "scratch remover" in Corel Paint Shop pro. Before paint shop pro the file size (seen by clicking properties on the icon) was 2.14 MB. After the scratch removing (no resizing or compressing) the file size is now 773 kb.
If you're saving the file, you are recompressing it (jpeg files are compressed). Check your jpeg quality settings in your software (higher jpeg quality = lower compression = larger file sizes; lower jpeg quality = higher compression = smaller file sizes).

Also, the amount of detail in an image impacts jpeg file sizes. For example, noise doesn't compress as well (since the jpeg compression algorithms interpret it as detail) and can often lead to larger file sizes. So, when you "smooth" out detail using something like a scratch removal feature, you can usually expect smaller file sizes for a given jpeg quality setting.

P.S.

It's a good idea to use "Save As" with a different file name for any photo you modify. Otherwise, if you overwrite the original with changes, you've lost that detail forever, with no way to start back with the original image if you make a mistake (for example, a lower jpeg quality setting).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:28 AM   #3

Thank you! That's it. I was using "save as" rather than export to "JPEG optimizer." Now I can lower the compression to as low as "1" rather than the default "20."

John
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote