Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1

Default Does anyone use ACDSee Pro 2.5?

I do, but it crashes a lot especially after some heavy editing. I think my computer is powerful enough though (C2D E8400 oc@4.2GHz, 8GB RAM etc...). I tried it on both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista, but the same thing... I run a lot of CPU-intensive applications like x264 re-encoding for example, but I have never had a problem. So, I assume my computer is good enough for photo editing.

Now, they are offering Pro 3.5 for $159. But, I think I'm going to switch to Elements 7.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2009, 8:01 PM   #2

Hi, I use ACDSee Pro and have never had any problems with it on a machine with less spec than yours. Worked fine for me on Vista and have just upgraded to W7 still with out any problems, just a hell of a lot quicker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastieman/
Pastieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:28 PM   #3

Adobe Lightroom offers a free 30 day trial that is effective to my taste have you tried that one...I have the ACD which came with my Pentax X70 and its ok but some bugs that I don't like.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:26 PM   #4

Default I had ACDsee but no more

It was complicated, crashed a lot, froze up a lot and every other day there was a new version out that they wanted more $$$$ for. It was possibly the worst money I ever wasted on anything I ever bought. If you want something that works and easy to learn you need to just go for Adobe Elements 8. You really don't need much else.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie948 View Post
It was complicated, crashed a lot, froze up a lot and every other day there was a new version out that they wanted more $$$$ for. It was possibly the worst money I ever wasted on anything I ever bought. If you want something that works and easy to learn you need to just go for Adobe Elements 8. You really don't need much else.
Your comment really surprise me Ronnie, I found it to be one of the easiest, un-complicated progs around and have had few crashes with it. I use Adobe too but use ACDSee for most cleaning up and PP of photo's. I know we all prefer different progs (I find Paintshop hard to get my head round), but this is easy to pick up without reading a manual and IMO a powerful prog

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastieman/
Pastieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:48 AM   #6

I have had no problems with ACDsee pro 2.5. I am now using ACDSee Pro 3 with Windows 7 64bit, mainly to catalog, view, and drop into either CS4 or PSPx2 for editing vs using Bridge. The DataBase Cataloging is what I like best. It allows me to find photos easily and quickly from my 5,000 plus photos.
anyway
shoot a lot, keep the best, trash the rest.
Thegreygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:32 AM   #7

I have used ACD 2.0, 2.5 and now 3.0. The new version, 3.0, is much more stable and is designed for fast work flow.

I've tried Lightroom and others, but A Pro Photo has one feature that I love that I haven't seen anywhere else...... Yet. Lighting EQ. It allows you to fine tune the image in ways that are much more like working with paper and chemicals in the darkroom.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote