Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:03 AM   #1

Default Elements v8: Saving ORF as TIFF

I recently purchased Elements 8 with ACR 5.5 with the understanding that it supported my Olympus E-620. ACR will open the ORF files and allow tweaking but when I attempt to save the image the only format offered is DNG. I would like to save as TIFF but don't see that option in preferences. What am I missing?
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:39 PM   #2

When you open with ACR, all you can do is convert the raw image. .DNG is another raw format, so it can be saved that way. In order to save as another format, you have to open it to the elements editor first.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:05 AM   #3

I am confused I guess. If I save as DNG the only way I can open the DNG is with ACR. When I develop the ORF in ACR I want to save as TIFF so that it can be opened directly in Elements. I wanted to get away from DNG altogether and that was my purpose in purchasing Elements. Otherwise I could just use free Adobe DNG converter and then edit in Photoshop.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:18 AM   #4
Administrator

I don't have Elements 8, and haven't used ACR lately. But, when you're working on adjustments in a raw file, you should see buttons at the bottom for Save Image, Open Image, Cancel and Done.

If you use Save Image, you should be able to save the image in the format desired. If you click Open Image, it should allow you to open the converted raw file in Elements (where you can make changes to it and save it as tiff or jpeg). If you click Done, then you're not going to be presented with any options to save to another format or open the image.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:20 AM   #5

Yes I expected to be presented with several formats when I click on save image in ACR but it only gives one DNG or dng; nothing else
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:22 AM   #6
Administrator

Do you see an Open Image button when you have a raw file on screen (that should allow you to open the raw file you're working on in Elements so that you can save it in another format after finishing your edits).

It sounds like you're missing a step somewhere. But, I don't have Elements 8 installed to check it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:50 AM   #7

Yes that was my problem. Thank you.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:35 PM   #8

Is it that ACR in Elements has less saving options than ACR in full Photoshop?
athegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:30 AM   #9

Yes...using the Save Image option within ACR only offers DNG in Elements.
With Photoshop you can save from ACR to DNG, JPEG, TIFF or PSD.
The camera raw plug-in is the same for both. Just that many of the functions and options are not available in Elements.

As JimC said...Open Image will open the image in the Elements editor, from where it can be saved in many more file formats.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote