Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 15, 2003, 6:07 PM   #1

Default Photo editing with Photoshop. Beginner question

I've got photoshop 7.0. I don't use it for much other than cropping and resizing pictures. I'm trying to play with it more each day to figure out the other features and what this amazing software can accomplish.

My question is a fairly basic one I think. Say I save a picture from the web or from a camera. They are never in the right aspect ratio to print a 4x6. With Photoshop, I have been cropping, using the rulers, to try and get as close as I can. I want to speed this up so I'm looking for recommendations on how other people do these tasks.

Is it possible to have a sort of "floating" 4 x 6 border that you can maneuver around and then place with the click of a mouse? That would border your picture and crop all of the rest.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:09 PM   #2
-jb

Default Re: Photo editing with Photoshop. Beginner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeand13
My question is a fairly basic one I think. Say I save a picture from the web or from a camera. They are never in the right aspect ratio to print a 4x6. With Photoshop, I have been cropping, using the rulers, to try and get as close as I can.
Choose the Crop tool and type in "6in" for the width and "4in" for the height and crop to suit. Any crop you choose will be scaled to 6 inches by 4 inches. Don't forget the "in" for inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeand13
Is it possible to have a sort of "floating" 4 x 6 border that you can maneuver around and then place with the click of a mouse? That would border your picture and crop all of the rest.
First use the "Image Size" tool and set the resolution to the size you want for printing (uncheck the "Resample Image" checkbox). Then pick the "Rectangular Selection" tool and set "Style" to "Fixed Style" and set the width and height to "6in" and "4in" again. Left click on the image and you'll see the floating 4x6 window you're looking for.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:35 AM   #3
NHL

You can also record the steps into an action (probably with a pause)... then use Automate > Batch and pick that recorded action as well as the directory where all the pictures to be cropped are stored.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote