Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:32 PM   #1

Default Paint Shop Pro 8 need help with one step photo fix

When I use the one step photo fix the size of the image is set down to about 300 - 400 kb instead of the size around 1,3 mb which the photos has been taken in. Why is that made, why cant I see any difference when I look at Image Information and how can I use the photo fix without lowering the size?
Swedenonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2003, 3:58 PM   #2

The Photo Fix shouldn't have much effect on the file size in itself. However, when you resave the photo after fixing it, the file will be smaller if you've set a higher level of jpeg compression than was used for the original photograph.

First, NEVER load the original pic, fix it and click Save. That will overwrite your original file. Always use Save As and save the modified pic to a different location on your hard disk. Then you can go back to your unmodified version if (when?) you decide there were better things you could have done with it than apply an auto-fix...

Second, when saving in jpeg format, click the "Options" button on the Save dialogue and check the Compression factor. The higher the compression factor, the smaller the file and the greater the loss of detail in your image. To save with virtually no loss of quality, use a cf of 5 or less. For posting on the web, where file size matters, try a cf of 20-30.
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 12:12 PM   #3

Thank you! Now I know this and in the future I will always save with a new name.
Swedenonline is offline   Reply With Quote