Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:52 PM   #1

Default What software for photo editing?

We just purchased a Canon Rebel XT and we are searching for a software to edit our pics with? What would you recommend. We are looking for a software that will not only edit but also do digital scrap book, slide shows and digital stickers ect.. Any advice?
gndksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:55 PM   #2

Sorry I guess I should have post in the DSLR section.
gndksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:56 PM   #3
Super Moderator

the software that is included with your camera, the DPP offers some basic software for editing your photos.

Photoshop elements is a rather inexpensive, yet powerful way to get started into image editing, and offers a way to manage your photos. It does offer some different ways to print as well, not sure about the photo books, etc.

there are various websites that offer ways to produce digital books, printed books, stickers, etc. i don't do much of this, but here are a couple that I have heard of people using.
http://www.onetruemedia.com/
http://www.snapfish.com/
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:59 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gndksmith View Post
Sorry I guess I should have post in the DSLR section.
moved it to the "Editors (Photoshop, etc) forum for you, since the info you desire is relevant for any camera.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:02 PM   #5

Adobe Photo Shop or Elements will probably be the most recommended, as they seem to be the most prevelant programs. Another option is Corel Paint Shop Pro X2. I'm currently using the latter on a free 30 day trial download. As far as I know you can also download a trial copy from Adobe as well. You might want to consider trying both to see which suits your purposes.

I am finding Paint Shop Pro fairly user friendly and there are built in tutorials and "wizards" that take you through different aspects of the editing.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:38 PM   #6

Gimp. It's free and very good. It will also take some Photoshop plug-ins http://www.gimp.org

Picasa for cataloging and quickie fixes.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:49 PM   #7

It depends on how much you want to do, but for viewing and simple editing I've recently switched to Faststone. Before that I used ACDSee 3.0 but after I moved to Windows 2000 I found that it & ACDSee 3.0 seemed to be not entirely compatible. Faststone works very much like ACDSee 3.0 but if anything Faststone is (in my opinion) the better of the two.

For anything more I still think Photoshop Elements version2 is by far the best combination of power and ease of use. Faststone is free, though they ask for a voluntary donation.

As for Photoshop Elements2 I bought it on e-Bay a few years ago for a very reasonable price - somewhere around $20 to $30 as I recall.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Gimp. It's free and very good. It will also take some Photoshop plug-ins http://www.gimp.org

Picasa for cataloging and quickie fixes.
Quite right. GIMP is on a level with Photoshop, and that price (free) is difficult to match...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote