Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:23 PM   #1

Default CS4 + Lightroom

CS4 comes with ACR. If you import your RAW files directly from your DSLR into CS4 can you automatically save this days grouping of files into Lightroom? So that you would have used ACR 5.6 as the converter. I'm assuming Lightroom does not come with ACR correct?

I am using an Apple MacBook Pro laptop as my main computer right now. Considering picking up both CS4/Lightroom.

Last edited by agc828; Dec 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM.
agc828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i am not sure exactly what you are asking.

yes, cs4 comes with acr. but yes, lightroom comes with its own built in RAW converter which is based off ACR.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:36 PM   #3

Ok let me try again. Thought I made it fairly simple. Any how...

I was wondering if it was possible to use ACR (included in CS4) as the RAW converter but Lr as the file manager/browser. To avoid using the RAW converter built into Lr even though it's based on ACR.

Having said that I am sort of surprised ACR wasn't included in Lr as well. Cost reasons?

Would the converted file be that different if I imported the RAW files directly from my CF card to Lr? Instead of using ACR in CS4? Would the results be noticeable? I would be using Lr most of the time. CS4 for per pixel retouching and maybe some HDR.

Last edited by agc828; Dec 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:16 PM   #4
Super Moderator

you can import your files via LR to sort and manage them.

then just use CS4 to open the RAW files you wish to edit using CS4, they will automatically open in ACR.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
you can import your files via LR to sort and manage them.

then just use CS4 to open the RAW files you wish to edit using CS4, they will automatically open in ACR.
If I import the files into Lr would Lr's RAW converter not automatically convert the files using it's own version of Adobe's RAW converter? Or would Lr just leave them in their original RAW format when being viewed/organized? I'm asking to confirm again because I've been using iPhoto as my all-in-one solution (browser, organizer & converter). When viewed you are viewing the converted JPG file (as you may or may not already be aware).

GOAL----->use CS4's ACR as the RAW converter (NOT Lr's) & Lr as the file manager/browser.

Last edited by agc828; Dec 20, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:14 AM   #6
Super Moderator

LR will not process them until you tell it to process them. plus, anything you do in LR is non-destructive anyway, so the original file is never touched until it is exported.

so it will act just as a manage/browser until you ask it to do more.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:30 AM   #7

Ok thanks Hards80. Will put in my order for Lr/CS4.

A few more quick questions. If I choose to edit in Lr then I would be using Lr's RAW converter correct? And if I do this then if I do any further PP in CS4 there wouldn't be any more RAW conversion done since I would be working on the converted (in Lr) JPG file yes?

Have a good week.

Last edited by agc828; Dec 21, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:09 PM   #8
Super Moderator

That is correct. If you choose to do some editing in LR on a RAW file you would first use the RAW converter in LR, which is completely based on ACR. You would do your adjustments in LR and then you would choose to export to CS4, in which you would then export a .tiff file to CS4 to make your further adjustments.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:25 PM   #9

Why would I want to export the converted RAW file as a TIFF to use in CS4? Why not export it just as a JPG?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:35 PM   #10
Super Moderator

because you don't want to compress the image twice. if you exported as a jpg from lr to cs4, you would then have to save it again after editing in cs4. this would mean your image was compressed 2 separate times.

lr exports to cs4 in tiff form because it is an uncompressed file format. you can then do your edits and save your final copy in jpeg.